Mast removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Antares

I would like to remove my mast on a 1980, 27' Catalina but I was wondering if 2 or 3 people can do it or do I need the yard to unstepped it for me. I would also like to put double forestay and backstay and don't know where I can get the masthead, forestay and backstay fittings from. Thanks for any input.

P

patrick e. boole

unstepping

the mast can be handled by one person. maybe 50 pounds or less. if you have a boat hoist then tie the mast up with a rope and use the hoist to unstep it. then just lay it down on the boat. lots of folks go under a bridge and tie off and then throw a rope up to a helper and unstay the mast and lift it up and then lay it down.

E

Echo Gulf

Caution

If you have no experience at lowering masts proceed with caution, the mast on my 1980 C27 weighs in excess of 100 lbs I reccomend using a mast raising pole, crane, or letting the local yard do it. The costs involved are considerably less than a new mast and the safety factor a lot better. I have seen the aftermath of masts lowered on lesser boats by willing but inexperienced hands, it wasn't a pretty sight.

C

charlie gruetzner

Unstepping mast

I would reccommend having your yard to it for you. Can two or three people do it? probably but a sudden gust of wind , someone slips and you could have a disaster on your hands. My personal opinion is that I let people who do it for a living take care of things I'm not that sure of. I can find plenty of other work to do on my Catalina 27! Good luck

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

I would have to agree

That's a pretty big mast for 3 people to handle. I've seen 3 people working on a 22 & have trouble, luckily without mishap, but it's still unnerving. It shouldn't cost too much just to have them unstep it, especially if you're not hauling out. As far as the fitting are concerned, I would contact Catalina customer service to see who they recommend. Their number is 818/884-7700. LaDonna

J

Jim

Have the yard do it!!!!!!!

Do a favor for your self and have the yard handle the dirty work. I own a 22 and had much trouble unsteping with 4 large individuals. And with a new mast costing $1200 for just a 22 footer, I'm sure a damaged mast for you 27 would burn a large hole in your checking account. On average expect to pay around $10 a foot in the Connecticut area and maby less if the yard will take the boat out for ya. Best of Luck Jim

D

D. Dix

Give it a try

All you need is 4 people and a secure dock. Here's how: Secure two lines just above the spreaders and run them back to the turning blocks or you could also slide the jib blocks far aft and use them. Run your two lines through the blocks and to each corresponding winch. Place a person at each winch. Place a third(fairly strong)person at the base of the mast and the fourth person on the dock. The boat should be positioned and secured so it is bow on to the dock. The person on the dock needs to have a sturdy pole about 10-12ft long with a fork fastened on the end that will receive the lowering mast. Now disconnect all the stays leaving the front lowers last. With tension on the two lines going to the winches, ease the mast down with the man at the base controling it until the person on the dock can catch it with the fork. And there you go, its lowered. It is not that hard.

E

Echo Gulf

Caution II

What D. Dix is saying is correct, but will only work with a mast that has a hinged step. For those of us with standard steps (similar to a stud and socket arrangment) it is necessary to raise the mast straight up several inches to unstep it and without a hinge to pivot on, the base of the mast will be uncontrolable and liable to damage itself, the deck or neighbouring vessels or equipment.

P

patrick e. boole

unstepping

part of being a sailor is learning self-reliance

Status
Not open for further replies.