Mast raising

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Jen G sent me a private message as she was having difficulty raising and lowering the mast. I forgot what thread this was in but requested all of you to allow time to investigate and help this lady who recently purchased the boat which all of you were kind to allow time for a fuller response. In addition, I was going on vacation but a few days prior was advised by the cardiologist I needed some testing which threw me into a tail spin. However, I told the Doc I was still going to bike a former RR and kayak down thee lazy river. Heck if I croaked, pardon the pun you old green frog, that was on my bucket list. Testing next week. Now back to the this.

What threw me off were the photos of gear to include a smaller purchase block and tackle and a comment about the new supplied mast raising pole as the one on the boat was missing. First the 23.5/19/26 used aluminum poles and I could not remember the diameter. For the 23.5 it was a 1 inch aluminum thinking it was the larger diamerter pole used on the 26. Well that was answered so the correct pole is one inch diameter and the new one which of course is the better one is stainless steel. However, there is a question if the curved end was grinded enough to go into the hole buttressed up against the slot inside the mast. It appears that additional grinding needed to be done and all I am waiting for is Jen to report back it is done. As of today nothing heard back as yet. Remember there was an issue during the 90's with different masts and that could have caused the problem. Anyway, I did send her a photo of a 260 mast raise pole as a template which to use.

The next issue was the block and tackle as the purchase/attachment pieces/length did not correspond to that of the Schaeffer 4 to 1 purchase supplied with the 23.5 making it difficult to raise the mast. Although expensive, I will suggest purchasing that so she has the correct tackle which to raise the mast.

This lady lives in a rural location far from the water and is attempting to raise the mast by herself. Thus I am trying to get this right. Will keep you posted.

Again thank you all for granting me time on handling this as my suspicions were correct.
Crazy Davve

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
Dave glad to hear you've been able to tick the biking and yakking off your bucket list. Keep us up to date on how Jen is doing with mast raising and getting that 23.5 on the water. Good luck with the upcoming tests, hope you surprise the Doc on the condition of your ticker!