Mast Raising

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Daley

The recent request for information concerning solo mast raising has prompted me to ask if anyone has ever experimented with strengthing the mast foot/tabernacle so that the mast can't move sideways. I have found that even with a "mast up" post and using the trailer winch attached to the forestay I still cannot raise the mast alone as the side to side sway remains until the shroud lines stiffen-a situation that it seems could be remedied by some sort of stiffening at the tabernacle. Any interesting ideas out there?

T

Ted

No need, use the shrouds . . .

if you keep the upper shrouds in place, the mast is not going to move side-to-side. check out my web site http://sites.netscape.net/tedsailingpage/ look up the page on mast raising. I do it this way all the time. Regards, Ted

T

Tim Daley

mast raising-attn Ted

Ted I have tried several times to access your website to no avail but I sure am curious as to what you have to say. Tim

T

Ted

Tim, Keep trying . . .

it looks like netscape is having a 'few' problems with their web hosting services. I assume they will get their arms around it soon. Also, make sure you have the URL exactly right. Regards, Ted

S

Steve W

maybe this will help...

Tim, I used to own a Precision 21 and finally developed an easy way to deal with the side to side sway of the mast. attach a couple of regular cleats about 5 feet up the mast on the port and starboard side. Raise the Mast. Now attach 1/4" lines to the bottom of a stancion, or toe rail on the bow side of the mast.. Run the lines up to the cleats and secure. What this does is control the mast sway after you start to lower it when the shrouds quit helping. The key is where you attach the lines on the deck area and the angle, It me me 5 tries to locate the right area, then it was a snap. Use a friend to test this before you go solo. Best of all, it is a cheap solution. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.