Mast raising system

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Make yourself a gin pole out of some 2x4's, some hardware and your main sheet blocks. I have a wood shop and access to all kinds of tools so I had an easier time making mine than the folks with less to work with but it works well on my C22. The ratchet strap on the rear is probably unneeded since the cut out for the mast fits so well. I probably have $25 in it total.

Attachments

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
My gin pole is similar to Shotgun's except I added a small trailer winch instead of using the vang.

Oct 21, 2014
Catalina 18 mkll Stockton Lake, MO
Make yourself a gin pole out of some 2x4's, some hardware and your main sheet blocks. I have a wood shop and access to all kinds of tools so I had an easier time making mine than the folks with less to work with but it works well on my C22. The ratchet strap on the rear is probably unneeded since the cut out for the mast fits so well. I probably have $25 in it total.
Thanks so much . I have a wood shop as well can you me how long the 2x4 is and any other photos to detail the hoist

Oct 21, 2014
My gin pole is similar to Shotgun's except I added a small trailer winch instead of using the vang.
Do you have any photos of how you rigged the Wichita? Also how long is your gin pole. Thanks for your help

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Do a You-tube search on Capri-18 and you'll find a short video clip of me lowing the mast on my Capri-18. I had the factory mast raising system and it work very slick. Easy to install, and worked great. I did find my Capri-18 was slightly more difficult to raise the mast than my C-22, probably because the gin pole on the C-22 can be longer and that gives better leverage.

What a GREAT boat the Capri-18's are! Best unknown boat out there!

Don

Oct 21, 2014
Do you have any photos of how you attached the winch? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Oct 21, 2014
More info

Lito do you have any photos of the small winch and how you used it?

Oct 21, 2014
More design info

Looking for more information on a mast raising system for a Catalina 28

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Here's a picture of mine with my dog Kelly photo bombing. Basically like Shotgun's with a winch. The winch hook attaches to the bow. The u-bolt on the opposite side attaches to the jib halyard. Just a standard 2x4x8' stud. Be sure to get a winch that ratchets in both directions.

Attachments

Sep 23, 2014
Catalina 22 The Harba! NJ
I just lowered the mast on my 22 for the season yesterday. Once on the trailer, I attached a 14 ft extendable aluminum pole to the front of the trailer with a pulley at the top. A line from the trailers winch ran up the pole through the pulley and to the mast just above the spreaders. It was very easy and very safe to lower single handed.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I just lowered the mast on my 22 for the season yesterday. Once on the trailer, I attached a 14 ft extendable aluminum pole to the front of the trailer with a pulley at the top. A line from the trailers winch ran up the pole through the pulley and to the mast just above the spreaders. It was very easy and very safe to lower single handed.
Well, did you get pictures? :)

Sep 23, 2014
Catalina 22 The Harba! NJ
Well, did you get pictures? :)
Of Course Not! Def dropped the ball on that. Like I said though, it was simple and the pole/crane when not in use, lays on the trailer tucked up against the support arms for the bunks. I got the idea from an internet search. the design is simple. requires little prep. I drilled a hole in the top of the crane and put an eye bolt through with a pulley attached. I just had to clamp the pole/crane to the Winch stand of the trailer. I think I'm going to buy a separate winch and attach it to the crane directly for next season. Once I get around to it in the spring, ill probably post some lame "look at what I'm doing" pics.

Next year I will probably purchase that "Mast up Mast stepper" from Catalina Direct. I currently have a home made wooden rear support which works good, but involves a little more set up then I like. Im trying to get my mast raising down to a half hour including cable tensioning. But im still a "Newb" so im not as speedy as I could be.