Mast-Mounted Wind Transducer

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
When my Raymarine i60 would not calibrate, as the direction seemed off vs my Windex something seemed amiss. I wish I had a better lens and angle, but it seems like it is pointing downward. Has anyone encountered this and have advise before going (or better yet sending someone) up that 65 foot mast ?

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Unless that is a quirk of your camera lens I would suggest your transducer has been visited by a heavy dirty bird.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I had the same thing happen with my windex. An opportunistic Osprey used it as a perch to spy for fish passing by in the river. He/She finally broke it into pieces. Now, it just sits atop the mast, eats lunch and deposits the scales, bones and poop on my deck!
I can't shoot it or even shoo it, so I put up tarps to save some scrubbing... :banghead:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yep, that is the one I was thinking about. The little bugger. A regular Transducer bender.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Probably should talk to @Kermit about his Osprey fun!
@Jackdaw suggested a pig stick. It’s basically a small flag on a pole you run up your mast while in the slip. I put a 2’x3’ Gadsden flag on mine but my dock neighbor immediately said it was too political. (I doubt cloth waving around would be much kinder to your equipment than a big-ass bird anyway.) My final solution for the top of the mast was a piece of metal with spikes in it. I don’t know what it’s called but it’s used for joining boards together for roof rafters. Oh wait, I just looked them up. They’re called truss plates. Trust me. Those spikes hurt.

Attachments

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
super -was thinking about the drone as well - good excuse to buy more "tools". I'll probably bite the bullet and buy a new unit so there when I can find someone to go up the mast