Mast lights not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2010
Oday 222 Joe Pool Lake Grand Prairie, TX
I have a 1984 O'day and I'm attempting to fix the mast lights while I have the mast down.
The forward facing one half way up the mast has a black and white wire attached to it and the mast head has a red and black wire. At the bottom of the mast there are 3 wires, one for an antennea, one with a plug that goes into the deck and the red and black wire. Without removing the plug I am to assume that it is for the forward light, however when it is plugged in it does not work. The bulb is fine and all the switches in the cabin are on.
I am also to assume that the mast head light is after market and my parents just never finished installing it.
So with that one how can I easily hook that light up? Can I splice it into the forward light or do I need to take it through the deck?

Thanks!

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
Assume nothing. The best advice I can give is to read the wire, bulb and plug with a multimeter. The plug could be for any of the mast lights. Do you have a masthead tricolor or is it just an all around white light?

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
The one at the top is the anchor light. The one midway up the mast is the steaming light. As mentioned you need to check the wires and plug with a meter. If the problem is in the mast then before you pull the wire out remove the light and check the connections.

Rich

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I have a 1984 O'day and I'm attempting to fix the mast lights while I have the mast down.
The forward facing one half way up the mast has a black and white wire attached to it and the mast head has a red and black wire. At the bottom of the mast there are 3 wires, one for an antennea, one with a plug that goes into the deck and the red and black wire. Without removing the plug I am to assume that it is for the forward light, however when it is plugged in it does not work. The bulb is fine and all the switches in the cabin are on.
I am also to assume that the mast head light is after market and my parents just never finished installing it.
So with that one how can I easily hook that light up? Can I splice it into the forward light or do I need to take it through the deck?

Thanks!
I fixed my anchor light on the mast of my 222 about a year last spring. Every year in the fall, I remove my stays and spreaders and use my mast for a ridge pole in covering the boat with a large tarp. So it was a lot easier to handle the mast and work on the electric in my back yard using a small work bench to support one end of the mast, and the grandchild's plastic playhouse to support the other end. I had a rigger install a steaming light on my mast years ago when I had a new mast being made up for her. I regret having done this because the mast has internal halyards and one of the wires to the steaming light must have got torn out by one of the halyards. For the few times that I have used that steaming light, it just wasn't worth having, so I removed it along with the wire that feeds it. What I did was this: I removed the mast head and pulled the wires out from that end. I tied a tag string to the wires at the tabernacle end in order to pull my wires back in. You can take an ordinary battery charger and hook it to the wires that feed the anchor light and if the light is working, it should light. I would check the wires for continuity first with an Ohm's meter and make sure that there are no breaks in the conductors or shorts to ground. Each of your two lights will have two wires on separate switches. Your anchor light should be on one switch and consist of a hot wire and a ground. All your grounds are tied together near your electric panel. Your steaming light should be on a seperate switch, and it also has a hot wire and a ground. You can have one ground inside your mast which can be a common ground to both lights on your mast. I don't think that's advisable though. I would run two duplex wires up the mast to feed each light.
All I was concerned with was getting my anchor light going. I used my Dremel Tool with a small wire brush to clean the metal contacts of the light and even the metal on the bulb. If you look closely at the inside of the masthead anchor light lens, you'll see a plastic prong that protrude down. This prong is used to apply pressure to the top electric contact for the bulb to keep it in place so that it doesn't get jarred and lose electric contact. So when you put that lens back in, eyeball it carefully to make sure that the prong sits on that metal contact.
I'm not certain of this but you may need to run an additional wire inside your cabin to feed this steaming light because the O'Day 222s never came through new with a steaming light on the mast that I know of. If your existing electric cable that feeds your mast has three conductors, you can do it. I think that you'll find that most of the wires that feed your interior lights are red and black, black being the ground. One wire can be a common ground for both lights, and that will leave two hot wires to feed each of your lights. Each light needs to come off a separate switch. Boats of this size don't really need a steaming light but if you want it to work, then go ahead and repair it. If your mast is Dwyer with external halyards, it will work out OK. If on the other hand, "four thumbs and a finger," you have Z-Spar with internal halyards like my mast, you're always going to have problems with it. Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks Joe!!
I used a 9volt battery to find out which wire at the bottom of the mast worked for the anchor light. As far as the steaming light I'm not really certain I need that light since I don't "steam" around anywhere. :)
Thanks for your help!!

Sully

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
The steaming light is for motoring after sunset. If you're on an inland lake you probably can get away without it. But in coastal waters and the on the Great Lakes it's required by law and I would not advise anyone to eliminate it.

Rich

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
The steaming light is for motoring after sunset. If you're on an inland lake you probably can get away without it. But in coastal waters and the on the Great Lakes it's required by law and I would not advise anyone to eliminate it.

Rich
Rich,
I stand corrected on the wiring of the steaming light. Because of the fact that the steaming light is used when motoring, he will want to put the steaming light on a separate switch and not have it come off the same switch as the running lights. It dawned on me yesterday when I was on my boat doing my weekly overnighter out on the water.
He's still going to have to run another wire inside the cabin to feed the steaming light. I would run two duplex wires up the mast to feed both lights.
Joe

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Thanks Joe!!
I used a 9volt battery to find out which wire at the bottom of the mast worked for the anchor light. As far as the steaming light I'm not really certain I need that light since I don't "steam" around anywhere. :)
Thanks for your help!!

Sully
Sully,
Last year was the first year that I was able to get my anchor light to work. Both my steaming light and anchor light hadn't worked in five or six years. Even though my anchor light works now, I still don't use it when I anchor for the night. It really depends on where you anchor. I can remember using it while anchored near the Elizabeth Islands years ago in a fog. That area is heavily traveled on the Cape in Ma. Outside of that, these boats can go into two feet of water and anchor and I really don't see any need for using an anchor light unless I really need to. If I have my choice of lights though, I'd want my anchor light.
Joe

Jul 30, 2010
Joe,

Thank you for your advise. I got my anchor light working. I don't know why my steaming light doesn't work and frankly I'm not to worried about it. The inland lake I'm on I just feel safe with the anchor light working when I spend the night since there are very early morning fishing boats flying across the lake.
And FYI forum. I'm a she not a he :) just like my boat.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
SailingSully,
It was my pleasure! I can now understand your concern for wanting to have your anchor light working in the area where you sail. It's better to be safe than sorry. Have a great sailing season!
Joe
P.S. You're a lady? Well dog my cats! :dance:

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
You can also use a car tail light with 2 wires fixed to it and use it as a test to determine what cabin based wires do what AND if they are working. Make note of you findings, than test the mast lights with a 9vdc battery, a car battery charger, a lawn tractor battery, etc to test the mast lights ( make note of which wires do what). Now you can tell which end you need to futher troubleshoot ( boat end or mast end). I used to overnight on a small inland lake and there is nothing scarrier then hearing high speed fishing boats in early AM DARK, anchor lights give you peace of mind! Law or no law..you are best to believe that the OTHER BOATER is not too smart, aware, or cares what he is doing... I do ALL I can to protect myself.

Jul 30, 2010
Very true about other boaters. First of all I have noticed that other boaters don't know boat safety let alone boating laws. So I trust NO ONE on inland lakes.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Very true about other boaters. First of all I have noticed that other boaters don't know boat safety let alone boating laws. So I trust NO ONE on inland lakes.
I agree with you on that. Last year I was sailing Mount Hope Bay at night and some guy kept racing back and forth in a large cigarette boat. He had to be doing over 100 miles per hour.
About three years ago, some guy from my city was out fishing in the middle of Buzzard's Bay at night with no lights on. A larger powerboat came along and ran right into his boat, killing him instantly. I'm told that some guys who fish at night often turn their lights off to keep other fisherman from leaning where their hot fishing sites are located.
I can only speak for my area which covers about two miles from the mouth of the Taunton River in MA., to the Bristol RI area, and this year I'm not seeing a lot of boats out on the water on week days and weekends. A lot of people are not using their boats this summer. It's a sure sign of bad economic times I think.
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to hang one of those solar lights at the end of your boom as an extra added safety precaution with your anchor light. Sometimes you can find the stainless steel solar lights in the stores.
I've been anchoring in coves, harbors, and near islands for many years and I can honestly say that I feel safer out on the water than I would in an RV parked anywhere on land and it doesn't cost me anything to drop the hook-----yet! :)
Smooth Sailing!
Joe

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Techie toys

If the mast is still down check out this web site for replacement LED bulbs, they seem to be more reasonable then those I have seen before.
www.superbrightleds.com
You guys and your ways to spend money on unreliable techie toys. Just use a kerosene R.R. caboose lamp or sometimes called a hurricane lamp and hoist it up mast. Set on low it will burn all night.

Most reliable light around and formally used on fishing sailboats, imagine that?

For example see: http://www.lampsforcamping.com/cont...nsport_kerosene_hurricane_lantern_12_red.html

Ed K

Attachments

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
You guys and your ways to spend money on unreliable techie toys. Just use a kerosene R.R. caboose lamp or sometimes called a hurricane lamp and hoist it up mast. Set on low it will burn all night.

Most reliable light around and formally used on fishing sailboats, imagine that?

For example see: http://www.lampsforcamping.com/cont...nsport_kerosene_hurricane_lantern_12_red.html

Ed K

My steaming light doesn't work, and there's no anchor light on our boat, so I also hoist a hurricane lantern (one that actually did light my house during Hurricane Fran in '96, but that's another story).
I like having a light closer to the deck because it is harder for other boaters to mistake it for something in the sky. Although, this lantern is not visible to 360 degrees, it's plenty good enough for our inland lake, being only obscured if someone is approaching from a point directly in line with the light/mast from forward. And even in those cases, the lantern swings quite a bit and is probably visible from that direction due to the sway.

I will fix my steaming light, but only so that I can install a new one that will have a bow light as well. It might be safer if someone goes forward in the dark to have a light shining down.

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
I have sailed mostly on inland lakes; 23 of them,and I do stand by the belief that I need to do ALL I can to ensure MY safety. I too have seen the BAD IGNORENT power boats that can kill us.
Dealing with...STEAMING LIGHTS vs MASTHEAD LIGHTS...... Take the time to review these links... they may save you a lot of problems. The STEAMING light is a light that tells everyone else on the water that YOU ARE A SAILBOAT under SAIL or power at night, otherwise how does another boater know to give YOU right of way when you are sailing. Masthead lights are used for anchoring. Under power the only true requirement is that you display the same as a power boat.. red, green and a stern white which points reward whereas the steaming light points forward.
Www.yachtracing.com the Ultimate sailing glossary
Steaming Light.....light on mast to indicate that a sailboat is motoring.
Www.dictionaryofgambling/gamblingterms/sailing/s
Steaming Light
Also known as a masthead light. The steaming light is a white light that is visible for an arc extending across the forward 225° of the boat. When lit the steaming light indicates that a vessel under power, including sailboats with engines running. Steaming lights are usually located halfway up the mast rather than at the top.
www.boatmall.com/learn/terms/s
masthead light - Also known as a steaming light. The masthead light is a white light that is visible for an arc extending across the forward 225° of the boat. When lit the masthead light indicates that a vessel under power, including sailboats with engines running. Masthead lights are usually located halfway up the mast rather than at the top.

Oct 18, 2010
Anon Anon Anon
I electric tape a solar walkway light to the top of my mast every season. ( $5.00 at wal-mart ) Works great and keeps the bitches off my back

Status
Not open for further replies.