Mast lighting "wiring" for easiest mast lowering

Jan 15, 2014
Morgan 323 Portland
After last summer sleeping below with my young kids and a questionable battery operated light dangling from my spreader and imagining the anchor failing and the boat sweeping into the Columbia river shipping channel I've decided the cost and hassle of a real anchor light is worth it to gain sleep and peace of mind.

So I'm going to run writes through pvc pipe and use deck plug.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I put a deck fitting in for the anchor light and one for my steaming light. Gland fitting in for my VHF antenna. The VHF and light cables run in the mast. I used grommets for the exit points. Works great. I have it set up so that the anchor light is on a switch by itself and the steaming light comes on with the running lights. It to is on a switch so that I can shut it off when night sailing. However I usually leave it on. The anchor light is an approved two mile 360deg mast head incandescent and the steaming is LED. I will eventually retrofit the bulb to LED. I have to agree with Ziggler. When it comes to safety, especially at night do it right.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Gotta read the whole regulation....basically depends on your length, anchored in a designated anchorage area, or in a navigation channel. Being that I don'r intend to anchor overnight in a channel, I disposed of my anchor light, and if I needed to, there are other methods to bring attention to your boat:

(e) Vessels of less than 7 meters in length when at anchor. A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor, not in or near a narrow channel, fairway, anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule.

(g) Vessels of less than 20 meters in length while at anchor in special anchorage. A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule.