Mast hauling fees

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Hello, I’m Jim and I owns 2002 356. We recently finally finally a great indoor winter storage facility in Michigan. It seems like a fair priced situation. However of course our mast must come off at haul out and reinstall at launch. As we learned quite quickly the off and on fees are separate charges from the storage. And of course I know this is not unusual. However we are being asked to pay over $500.00 for each time the mast is removed and again when it’s installed. They do use a travel lift with a boom and I do all the electrical and final rigging and boom R & R. So pretty much the charges seem to be for a very short and defined turnkey operation. Incidentally the mast is stored outdoors. So my current plan is to discuss this situation with the business owners, but I thought if any sailors out there had experience with this to help me find out where my expectations should be that would be helpful. Thank you

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Those kinds of costs would have prevented me from ever being able to enjoy a large cruiser. We are blessed with weather and facilities to leave our masts up. When someone needs to unstep a mast, there are several experienced members that will lend a hand. It's a dangerous process that should never be taken for granted. So much could go seriously wrong bodily and mechanically if not done properly.

• Helpful
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
... However we are being asked to pay over $500.00 for each time the mast is removed and again when it’s installed.
This is in line with costs anywhere on Eastern Long Island. I always thought that the boat owners would pay far more in upgrades and repairs if the yards charged less for dropping and raising the mast. Oh, and the yards there charge to store the mast too! That's why almost everyone leaves their masts up.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
$125.00 x 3 x ?hrs plus hoist. your flat rate charge is cheap.
inside storage on the northern great lakes, while pricey, will save you a lot of money in the long run. allowing your boat to freeze and thaw many times each winter can and will increase your upkeep bills exponentially.
cold inside storage is good. heated inside storage is better. it is worth every penny to store inside.
i'm straight across the lake in sturgeon bay. i have 2 masts on aeolus. add another hour to the the formula.
you can work on your boat all winter so that you can sail your boat all season long. nothing worse than doing maintenance in june, july, aug, sept.

in the real world, your flat rate charge is cheap.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Years ago when I stored my boat the mast was required to be un-stepped and stored. In Connecticut that cost was an extra $1500 including re-tuning the mast in the Spring.
I voted with my feet and found another marina a short distance away that permitted mast-up storage.

Since 1998 my mast has only been removed twice. Once for the storage requirement and once to have a roller boom installed.

May 25, 2012
oh yeah, in the spring, when they step the rig again, learn to tune the rig yourself. it will save you a lot of money.

May 25, 2012
i have seen here on this forum a few fellows that store outside with considerable care to their cover and oversite of their vessel. like dave and tom. sure it can be done. most fail at doing it well. then the fix it again bills start to add up.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Where in Michigan? I'm in Muskegon and the yards that will do a mast here charge an hourly rate per man plus the use of their lift. One uses a mobile crane and the other a high reach forklift. I've never used either one but I'm told it usually works out to at least $350 each way, so your charges aren't that far off. A third yard, the one I store at uses a gin pole (a tall, fixed hand crank crane). They charge a similar hourly rate but will let you use the pole yourself for free if you store there. Kind of surprising these days, the other yards used to have them but took them down for liability reasons. My wife and I have lowered and raised the mast ourselves almost every year, sometimes with a third helper. It's not that hard once you know how. And my mast is 42 feet long and at least 300 lbs. If you can find a deal like that maybe pay them to do it the first time then take over from there. I learned it decades ago in a yard where most masts came down and it was a community effort with the old hands helping the newbs.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Chicago Harbors charge around $5-6 per foot. The price list doesn't list if thats the price of the mast or boat. Knowing them it's whichever is greater

Michigan City Port Authority charged around 150-200 to step the mast on my little boat. I thought it was a bit steep. They had a crew of about four guys and a lift. Process took 2-2.5 hours. By the end of the process I felt like it was a bargain

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
From what I’ve seen some marinas charge for the labor to take it down and then for the space the mast takes up when it’s stored.

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Thank you to all who commented on my mast hauling question. I guess I’m down to discussing with my marina why it seems to require double fees and hours and manpower to step the mast as opposed to unstepping it. Especially since I literally do all the rigging and electrical on both ends.....