Mast Halyard Slides and Mainsail Shackles

Nov 11, 2014
Oday 31 Charleston SC
Hi, My mast slides have started to break and the new slides sold at West Marine and Defender fit the mast, but are too small for the mainsail shackles to attach. I was going to replace both the slides and shackles with West Marines products, but the shackles are too small for the mainsail. Can anyone recommend where to by the Slides? I have an O'day 31.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Do you have a sail loft nearby? The ones I bought at WM didn't last very long. The plastic slugs that my new main came with have the metal attachments and last much longer.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Sailrite has a much better selection and better prices.

As for the shackles, attach them with sewn 1/2-inch webbing instead. Stronger and better for the sail. The sewing is quite simple and worth learning. A lashing with 1/8-inch cord also works well. But ditch the shackles.

I don't know what style you need, but stainless bail slugs (4) attached with webbing (3) will last a very long time.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm having a hard time picturing the issue your having. A picture would be good.
This is how I'm reading your problem: The shackles are too small to fit the new slides but they fit the sail grommets. Smaller shackles fit the slides but are too short to reach the grommets?
What you want, I take it, are slides that are big enough to fit the shackles, right? However, the slides you just got are not that big. So, there is another size slide that fits you track and you want to know how to find them?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 26, 2011
Webbing is better for the sail and for the slugs because it allows greater rotation, reducing stress on the slug ;). At least that has been my experience, through many sails. There is a reason it is a traditional practice. The down side is that it is more labor intensive, the primary reason folks use shackles. But webbing is better.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I'd be happy to help with some professional advice.
1. Please post a picture of the luff showing shackles and slides.
2. Please provide the part number of the old slides, or measure the dimensions of the length, width of flat slide or diameter of round slide and the waist.
3. Also, please show a picture of the tack (lower front corner) attached to the tack fitting at the gooseneck.

Judy B
sail loft owner

Nov 11, 2014
Oday 31 Charleston SC
These are great ideas. Thanks to all. I have a North Sails store in Charleston, SC and will drive by this weekend.

And Thinwater, thanks for the attachment. As an aside, the sail shackles are 30 years old and not one has broken. They're heavier, longer and wider than anything I've seen sold. In the meantime, I've lashed the existing shackles to the replacement slides that are too small for the shackle to fit through (yet are the same 3/4 inch wide and 1 1/4 inch length slide). But I really like your idea of a cloth webbing. Many thanks.............

Mar 26, 2011
BTW, there is really nothing wrong with a 4-6 pass lashing. It's not as pretty as webbing, but it's quite functional and can last a long time.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The products I mention below are all Bainbridge products. Images were taken from the Bainbridge Sailmaking Hardware Catalog, which you can download at
http://bainbridgeintusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/bi_sailmaking_hardware_catalog.pdf

If your measurements of 3/4 inch wide and 1 1/4 long are accurate, it's probably an A008 slide from Bainbridge. (or an A006M - pictures would help) Available on SBO at
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?664

Compatible plastic shackles are either a Bainbridge A023, A027, or A035BK . Choose the one whose length matches the existing shackles.
SBO sells the A027 but not the other two at
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?660

If the shackle is metal, it might be a B303 or one of the following:

2018-04-18_10-26-38.jpg

SBO sells some metal sailmaker's shackles at https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?14506 , but I'm not familiar with the part numbers. One may match your others.

Choose a shackle that is the same length as what you have, so the slides stay properly aligned vertically.

Challenge may have similar items with different part numbers, but most sailmakers use the Bainbridge part numbers.

Niether Challenge nor Bainbridge sell small quantities to the public, but you can google the part number to find an online reseller.

The choice of attaching with webbing vs shackles varies with the application, according to the alignment and articulation requirements.

PS. The catalog lists nominal measurements. The actual measurement using a caliper are usually smaller. An A008 is a little narrower than the nominal 19mm. Using my caliper, it says 17.89 mm.

PPS. It could be an A006M which has a nominal width of 20 mm, but measures closer to 19mm. It is compatible with A023 and A027 plastic shackles.

Last edited: