Mast Gates

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I know a few C310 owners have gotten mast gates from Tom Luque at mastgates.com. I've been talking with him and he says that the slides on my mainsail (Bainbridge Allslip A108) won't work with his mast gates, and will snag. Wondering if others have the same slides and found mast gates that work with them?

Nov 16, 2012
no

paulj
:hook2:
Those look like the standard slug. The Allslip makes contact on both sides (in and out) of the track and is often used at the headboard and full length battens so the slug doesn’t twist.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
@marchem

Tom Luque knows what he’s talking about when it comes to his mast gates.

You can probably change out the Allslip A008 for Bainbridge A018. Both are the same width (about 3/4" or `18.75 mm) but the Allslips have TWO flat sliding surfaces, and are taller.

The Allslip A008’s have two flat surfaces. One flat surface going inside the mast. The other presses against the aft face of the mast. There isn’t a lot of clearance between the two flat surfaces. That's probably why Tom Luque told you they would bind.

How many of the Allslip A008’s do you have? Usually they are necessary only at the full battens. .
If you have full battens, how are they attached at the full battens?Webbing, shackles or threaded studs into batten receptacles.

What kind of slides do you have where there are no full battens?

If you change the slides to Banbridge A008's, there are some technical details beyond the width to consider. The two different slides create different offset between the mast and the luff of the sail, The Allslip A108's push the sail about 1" back from the bearing surface. The Bainbridge A008 push the sail back about 1/2". If you mix and match them, they all need to be on the same line for the sail to feed properly and to not have wrinkles. The devils in the details, but an experienced sailmaker can do it for you.

PM me if you'd like to discuss it in more detail.

Judy

Nov 16, 2012
@marchem

Tom Luque knows what he’s talking about when it comes to his mast gates.

You can probably change out the Allslip A008 for Bainbridge A018. Both are the same width (about 3/4" or `18.75 mm) but the Allslips have TWO flat sliding surfaces, and are taller.

The Allslip A008’s have two flat surfaces. One flat surface going inside the mast. The other presses against the aft face of the mast. There isn’t a lot of clearance between the two flat surfaces. That's probably why Tom Luque told you they would bind.

How many of the Allslip A008’s do you have? Usually they are necessary only at the full battens. .
If you have full battens, how are they attached at the full battens?Webbing, shackles or threaded studs into batten receptacles.

What kind of slides do you have where there are no full battens?

If you change the slides to Banbridge A008's, there are some technical details beyond the width to consider. The two different slides create different offset between the mast and the luff of the sail, The Allslip A108's push the sail about 1" back from the bearing surface. The Bainbridge A008 push the sail back about 1/2". If you mix and match them, they all need to be on the same line for the sail to feed properly and to not have wrinkles. The devils in the details, but an experienced sailmaker can do it for you.

PM me if you'd like to discuss it in more detail.

Judy

Judy, thanks for all the info. I'm working with my sail maker here, Dave Hodges @ Ullman. I'm sure you know each other. Right now I've got A108s on the headboard, and three full length battens. The rest are A008s. Dave says he can figure something out to work with Tom's mast gate. Tom just asked me for some additional pictures, so I need to work on getting those.