Mast gate for old Precision 18 ?

Jul 6, 2022
Precision 18 Lake Wisconsin
My P-18 hull #33 has two sail stops to prevent the slugs on the mainsail from falling out of the lug slot. Does the P-18 require a mast gate or "lug gate" to quickly reef the mainsail ? Or can you position the sail stop such that it stops all but the bottom sail slug which naturally falls below the sail slot ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello. Welcome to the SBO forum.

Sorry I can not help with the Sail Stops on your boat. Most of the time, I drop the sail and rig the reef, either as a hook above the gooseneck or a line to tie the sail down bunched up on the boom with the slugs in the track.

Reefing is not pretty, but it is functional. The wind is usualy blowing so strong that pretty does not matter.

Happy Sailing.

Jul 12, 2022
precision precision 18 chowan
yes. when you set your boom's gooseneck through the mast slot'....have the first stop set low. Put the second (upper) stop set just below the mast slot so that you can feed the slugs' in and up. Once all of the slugs are in the mast track, just raise the second stop so that none of the slugs will be able to enter the mast slot! This will allow you to reef the main with out the fear of any slugs' being able to accidentally come off the mast thru the mast slot. practice getting the correct position of the lowest stop and "mark it on the mast. when in the correct position, you should be able set the fist stop at your mark, raise the second ABOVE the mast slot and set it. attach the boom and then lower the upper stop so that you can begin feeding the slugs'. once all the slugs are in, you just raise the second stop to block off the mast slot. g'luck