Mast electrical conduit

Oct 2, 2005
Does anyone have a suggestion for securing a PVC conduit inside the mast for wires? If I rivet in place is there an easy way to hold the conduit in place while I drill the hole?
Craig Tern #1519

May 31, 2006
- - Vancouver
Hey Bill:
'
Are you coming to Friday Harbour this year? Diana and I will be in berth H17...Hope to see you and all the VEGAtarians there.

Brian - Simply Super

Aug 1, 2000
The easiest way I found is to get some foam strips and tie them around the cables/wires at intervals and then slowly feed them in. They will snag on some of the screws as you feed, but by wiggling, rotating the bundle, it will go in...and no more noise when at anchor.

Hans Heiduck

Oct 2, 2005
Just to keep the wires from slapping about. The mast had been chock full of foam, but all the foam is now cleaned out.

Oct 30, 2019
Craig:
I used a good quality foam pipe insulation, running it up the wires after they were in. They can slop around all they like ... silently :)

Peter
#1331 'Sin Tacha'

May 30, 2006
Then the foam idea is a good and more simple solution.
Also in the same idea family that has been done... use wire ties to bundle the wires, but don't cut off the tails. The randomness of the tails will keep the wire bundle from slapping.
rb

Jan 28, 2001
Wire ties are great, use 4 of them to make a square. Shrink the square by pulling on the ends of the ties. We put them on pipe insulation foam every couple of feet and pulled the whole bundle through the mast. the foam comes split horizontally and the wires and cables go inside the foam.The long ends of the tails keep the bundle centered inside the mast. pull them tight enough to keep them from sliding on the foam and use ties that are 12 to 14 inches long. Walt, Lyric
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 20:51:35 -0700
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] Re: Mast electrical conduit

Then the foam idea is a good and more simple solution.
Also in the same idea family that has been done... use wire ties to bundle the wires, but don't cut off the tails. The randomness of the tails will keep the wire bundle from slapping.
rb

Oct 31, 2019
HI.:
Plastic paper cups are perfect for running wires inside the mast. Just punch a whole in the middel of the cup, run the wires through... cost @1.25
Wilhelm, V-257

Oct 2, 2005
Walt, Your suggestion worked great. Once I had removed all the old foam and a mass of old wire I was able to pull the new wire and foam conduit in only about an hour. Thanks! craig Tern V1519