Mast electrical conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Not yet having my mast off I assume that the VHF and wind instrument cables travel thru a pvc conduit. Does anyone know if those cables are free or fastened? I would like to run my new wind instrument by going aloft and using the old cable to pull the new one down.
Doug 1990 C30

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
dj, once they are in the conduit, that's all that's needed. Fasten well at the top.

Dec 1, 2011
Catalina 1984 C30 Tall Rig Bow Sprit MD
They are free the whole path, except for an interference just below the spreaders which is a fastener of the tube.

Mar 29, 2010
catalina 30' 1991 Long Beach CA
dj: what type/brand of instrument are you planning on installing?
I'm also considering the same install, using the existing old cable to pull the new down the mast & going with the garmin brand. It would have NEMA 2000 connectors going into a backbone & interface w/ the chartplotter as well as a seperate display............not cheap!

Jan 6, 2010
DJ,

I got tired of hearing the internal cables "chang" back-n-forth while sailing & at anchor.
On my last haulout, I had a mast tube installed inside to stop the "changing."

The rigging company also installed a pull line for any future changouts.
Now my cabling is silent in all conditions.

Check with your (pirate) yard or contact a rigger.

CR

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I'm assuming that I do have a electrical conduit inside the mast. Since it's a 1990 can anyone confirm it?

Oct 25, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII Bayfield, WI
My 1988 Mk II has a conduit. It had broken loose and was clanging around, so I had to refasten it this summer. It's sooo much quieter now...

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Do yourself a favor, whenever pulling a wire thru a conduit with the old wire, also pull an electrical messenger string ,just in case. When I was done wf mine last year I have 2 conduits, there are now a messenger strings in each one. Just a thought and think of it as insurance...Red

Mar 29, 2010
catalina 30' 1991 Long Beach CA
dj: re: your displays at the helm:
where did you route the wiring? can't see in your pic.
did you go inside the pedastal?

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
csavage- No, I went through the pedestal guard. I had to buy a new guard anyway as the original was too short. Bought a new one from defender which was dented and had to be replaced. There are only two wires that went to the Navpod, Seaktalk ng and the autopilot motor supply. The wires exit in the aft berth adjacent to the pedestal protrusion. They run along the wood trim and enter the area behind the ladder and aft galley drawers where the Course computer resides.

Status
Not open for further replies.