mast crutch

Sep 14, 2007
- - Chesapeake
I am thinking of making a dinghy engine boom to lift the dinghy engine from the boat to the dinghy. Does anyone know the diameter of the mast crutch. I have a 2001 H260 I was going to use the holes for it to mount my boom when needed. Unfortunately my boat is 2 hours away right now or I would measure it myself.

Thank you,
Dave O.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You will be lifting weight sideways. The two stainless steel straps that hold the rear aft mast carrier are not designed to lift a motor and will in time pull out regardless of what others say. I have seen that done in the past and strongly suggest looking at an alternate method. I use to be a dealer and to be blunt heavily involved with this boat from the very first and the very last leaving the factory when produced.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I'm not familiar with your mast crutch but have used the main boom in different boats as a hoist support to elevate and swing aboard relatively heavy objects. I would think the average boom can easily hold a 50 lbs motor at 10ft from the gooseneck.

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
I am thinking of making a dinghy engine boom to lift the dinghy engine from the boat to the dinghy. Does anyone know the diameter of the mast crutch. I have a 2001 H260 I was going to use the holes for it to mount my boom when needed. Unfortunately my boat is 2 hours away right now or I would measure it myself. Thank you, Dave O.
On my boat I lift a 75 lb. outboard with one of the main halyards. It is a two man job, one hoists while the other positions the outboard horizontally. This is very easy to rig ... and it very easy to move the outboard anywhere you want it. I would not recommend this in any sort of seaway, but otherwise it is a very workable solution.