Mast cleaning/buffing... without climbing?

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
This may seem like a silly question, but I can't get either of my two helpers to clean/wax the mast for me, and neither will haul me up there. So either I've gotta get up there by myself, or find another way. I've tried a homemade mast ladder and couldn't move when I got to the top from muscle exhaustion, so that won't work either.
I was thinking maybe I could fabricate something from a piece of thick leather that is somewhat rigid and attach some kind of buffing cloth to it. Attach some rope to either side of it so I can move it back and forth, spray some wax cleaner on it, hoist it up and wipe it back and forth and up and down a bit to get rid of some of the oxidation.
Anybody know if this already exists or just a stupid idea?

I have a blue mast is why this is bothering me. You can see the oxidation.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I don't have a blue mast or your particular issue, but I will offer these possibly less-than-helpful suggestions:

1. Get more helpful helpers.
2. Hire someone to do the work; write a check.
3. Drop the mast and work on the ground. Also a good time to check all of the rigging too.

IMHO and experience, oxidation will not disappear with simply using wax or cleaner wax. I liken it to a blue bootstripe oxidation and the best success I have had with that is wet sanding with 800-1200 and then applying wax. Anything else I have tried has produced minimal results.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Some of the new ceramic coatings may produce better results, but I'm with Rich, the only way to make a good effort and not just pee into the wind is to drop the mast. Then attend to everything.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Ratlines to the spreader then folding steps to the top. That might make the climbing easier but I'd agree with the rest. I had a friend crank me with our right angle drill so I could wash the spreaders so they would look white again, but I did see some extensions for a power washer that would reach the lower one. Good luck.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a mast climber and bosun’s chair.Easy climb once you get the hang of it. I use one halyard for the mast climber and the other on my harness with someone on deck belaying.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There are ways to go up, but trying to apply pressure to clean and wax will be a YouTube moment :biggrin:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Is your blue mast Anodized Aluminum?

If yes...
1) Wax is temporary.
2) Oxidation is a good thing for Aluminum Masts
3) Never buff off the intended protective Aluminum oxidation.

If there are nicks or scrapes..
You can fix them by the right Oxidation Chemical.

Jim...

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
  • Buy proper climbing equipment and learn the method. It should be easy on such a short stick, so something was very wrong. Proper gear does cost money.
  • Squint and don't worry about. Boats don't need to be shiny.