Mast bag?

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Does anyone use the Blue Performance mast halyard bag?
If so how do you like it?
Thinking about getting one to clean up the mast a bit.
Not sure if I go that way or invest to lead lines aft

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
No experience with the bag you speak of, but if you do much single-handing then I recommend leading lines aft. The mainsail goes up more quickly if you raise it from the mast (fewer blocks, no clutch), but being able to manage that from the cockpit is worth it, IMO. I can highly recommend the Lewmar D1.

The Lewmar clutches have a unique design that allows the halyard to pass through easily even with the lock lever down, but stops it immediately when the rope goes the other direction. Sort of like a one-way valve for the halyard. Love mine.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Never seen one of these things. Is there a point to them? If you have to coil the line before you bag it it just seems to be more work and expense for nothing. If you just stuff it in, you could get tangles. Is there room on the mast to mount it below the gooseneck and halyard cleat? (The holding straps have to go around the mast and it would not look good slouching on the cabintop.) Running the halyards aft would seem to make more sense. It would make sail handling easier and you can get a bag for there too which would likely be cheaper than the mast version.

Apr 11, 2020
Assuming you bundle the halyard properly before putting it in the bag, tangles should be no more a problem than normal. However, if the halyard is going in wet or damp, is the bag ventilated enough to allow it to dry?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Assuming you bundle the halyard properly before putting it in the bag, tangles should be no more a problem than normal.
That's exactly the point. If you have to coil the halyard before putting it in the bag, it's' just adding complexity and buying a bag for no reason. Tangles are more likely If you don't coil it before bagging the halyard. A coiled halyard looks fine at the base of the mast: no bag needed.

Apr 11, 2020
That's exactly the point. If you have to coil the halyard before putting it in the bag, it's' just adding complexity and buying a bag for no reason. Tangles are more likely If you don't coil it before bagging the halyard. A coiled halyard looks fine at the base of the mast: no bag needed.
Your point is well-taken, although the problem with loosely-secured halyard could go beyond mere aesthetics. I can easily envision how it could become a trip hazard especially in high winds and high seas. One could secure the coil with a bungee. To each their own, I suppose.

On the other hand, lines led aft can be a trip hazard as well. Like so many things in sailing, trade-offs exist.

BrianQ

Jan 10, 2024
Hunter Legend 37.5 Havelock
You don't need to coil the line. You can stuff the tail end in and keep stuffing like you load a line throwing bag.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Yup, had one on my PDQ 34 cruising cat for many years. Very durable. Very handy.

I used it for the spin halyard and also kept the winch handle (two mast mounted winches, for halyards and reefs) in there. The halyard was not coiled, no problems. Like flaking a Lifesling line, if you do it right, zero chance of tangles.

The other halyards and tails were coiled and lashed to the deck with short ties secured to eye straps. Very handy and very secure.

[Port side of mast. That was a hell of a family boat. I miss it some days. But the family grew up.]

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Assuming you bundle the halyard properly before putting it in the bag, tangles should be no more a problem than normal.
That's exactly the point. If you have to coil the halyard before putting it in the bag, it's' just adding complexity and buying a bag for no reason. If you put it in the bag uncoiled tangles are likely. A coiled halyard looks fine at the base of the mast. It doesn't need a bag.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Your point is well-taken, although the problem with loosely-secured halyard could go beyond mere aesthetics. I can easily envision how it could become a trip hazard especially in high winds and high seas. One could secure the coil with a bungee. To each their own, I suppose.

On the other hand, lines led aft can be a trip hazard as well. Like so many things in sailing, trade-offs exist.
Loosely secured is not how I run my halyards. Most of my halyards run to a winch, most are self- tailing, but that's not necessary. My active halyards run to winches. The lines are secured to a cleat in all cases. The tail i then do a coil and a wrap with a top that runs through the top of the coil that allows the coiled line to be secure. I then take the top of that and cleat it over the same cleat. This keeps the entire line completely secured at the cleat. Those line are then totally secured. There is no way for them to get loose at all. No need for extra bags. I would find that too much extra "stuff". I've gone through near hurricanes and breaking waves over the boat and no lines move.

dj

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The tail i then do a coil and a wrap with a top that runs through the top of the coil that allows the coiled line to be secure. I then take the top of that and cleat it over the same cleat. This keeps the entire line completely secured at the cleat. Those line are then totally secured. There is no way for them to get loose at all. No need for extra bags. I would find that too much extra "stuff". I've gone through near hurricanes and breaking waves over the boat and no lines move.
:plus:

It only takes a minute to properly cook a line and loop the tail through itself to secure the coils. That’s a minute that can be spent at your convenience, keeping the line ready to be dropped from the coil and let free to run in a hurry if needed.

Mar 26, 2011
That's exactly the point. If you have to coil the halyard before putting it in the bag, it's' just adding complexity and buying a bag for no reason. If you put it in the bag uncoiled tangles are likely. A coiled halyard looks fine at the base of the mast. It doesn't need a bag.
The line to a Lifesling is flaked in the bag, not coiled. Anchor rodes are never coiled. Most race boats run on line bags for sheet and halyard tails, and the lines are just flaked into the bags.

No, you don't need a bag. I was given this one. I don't think I would buy one on my own. The lines on my current boat are all coiled and hung. But it worked a treat and the flaws that are being described did not come to pass. I have used sheet and halyard bags in the cockpits of many boats and like them.

It's not hard to accept that there is more than one way to run a boat. I'm surprised more people have not used both practices, on different boats, at different times.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
For many years I coiled/flaked lines at the mast, draped them over mast winches or tucked them in between the halyard and the mast. They stayed exposed to the environment, gathering dirt and grime, falling on the deck, getting under foot.

Then I saw in an advertisement the Blue Performance bag. Looked like a bit of bling for the boat. They were on sale, so I bought one. They are a well made bit of kit. There are internal Velcro loops to hold the coiled/flaked lines. Now when I raise or lower the sails I remove the proper halyards, drop the to the deck. Preform the hoist, coil/flake any tail and back in the bag. Process is smooth. No lines tangled and under foot.

I find the mast bag a good purchase, worth the price on a cruising boat handled by a solo sailor.

If I was racing with crew, swapping sails frequently changing trim, I’d not use the mast bag. A different set of rules would apply. When storing the boat all the sails and running lines would be off the boat and in a sails & rig loft.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
No experience with the bag you speak of, but if you do much single-handing then I recommend leading lines aft. The mainsail goes up more quickly if you raise it from the mast (fewer blocks, no clutch), but being able to manage that from the cockpit is worth it, IMO. I can highly recommend the Lewmar D1.

The Lewmar clutches have a unique design that allows the halyard to pass through easily even with the lock lever down, but stops it immediately when the rope goes the other direction. Sort of like a one-way valve for the halyard. Love mine.
What’s the point of a bag instead of just coiling and hanging the line? Sounds like a spider haven to me. I would also recommend leading the halyard aft instead.

I have Garhauer rope clutches that function the same way as Lewmar (Both are good. Garhauer may be less $$.) and self tailing cabintop winches. Everything is lead aft. I also have a down haul line lead aft to pull the main down when it doesn’t completely drop on its own.

If you single hand, as I do frequently, anything that allows you to stay in the cockpit is worth the investment.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
... If you single hand, as I do frequently, anything that allows you to stay in the cockpit is worth the investment.
I once interviewed a single hander aboard the Open 60 he raced around the world. His halyards were at the mast. I asked why. He said it was much easier changing headsails with everything in one place.

I singlehand most of the time, I've had boats with lines forward and lines in the mast, and I find lines at the mast is easier. I don't mind leaving the cockpit.

• Helpful
Apr 11, 2020
I once interviewed a single hander aboard the Open 60 he raced around the world. His halyards were at the mast. I asked why. He said it was much easier changing headsails with everything in one place.

I singlehand most of the time, I've had boats with lines forward and lines in the mast, and I find lines at the mast is easier. I don't mind leaving the cockpit.
When I led my lines aft I realized how much less resistance you get at the mast by comparison. Still, the security of working from the cockpit is a plus for me. Also the ability to adjust halyard tension using the clutches and winches is a plus.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We each have our own styles of sailing. I learned to handle the lines at the mast. I have sailed on boats with various in-cockpit setups. Many have fouled leads with added friction. A few do not. I prefer the focus of halyards at the mast. I'll continue as long as I am able.