Mast antenna installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiga1

Jun 4, 2004
- - PA
I just received the mast antenna installation kit from Catalina Direct for my C22. It looks like at one time one of the boats previous owners had a mast antenna - you can see the clipped cable up inside the bottom of the mast and where is comes out on top. For the life of me I can't figure out where he ran the cable into the boat - no through deck fittings. Any one have any experience with this kit and willing to share any advice before I try to install it? Thank you. Dave

Feb 28, 2004
Catalina 22 Pto. Escondido, Mexico
avoid cable banging in mast

....add plumbing insulation around cable inside of mast to avoid constant clanging. Lots of fun trying to sleep with cables inside of mast keeping you awake.

May 7, 2004
- - Lynn, Ma.
Mast wiring

You say you can see the old cable inside the mast. How is it attached in place? My mast ('86 C22) has a length of conduit inside riveted to the mast. The antenna cable and light wires run inside this conduit so as not to clang around or interfere with the internal halyards. It wasn't to easy to run new wires but all you need is an electricians fish wire.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
It comes with the kit

The thru deck fitting comes with the CD kit. Maybe the PO just ran the cable in the mast and then gave up! I actually had all of this stuff and the VHF radio itself ready to install. Upon further contemplation I returned it all and decided to go with a handheld unit. If you sail in a lake or in areas with cell phone coverage I think a fixed VHF is not such a necessity on a small boat like a C22. Just my opinion. Randy

Apr 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Marinette, WI
Re: antenna coax installation

I used a "wire puller" to pull the coax through my mast conduit. Drilled a small hole where it exits at top and bottom and used rubber grommets to protect the coax from the sharp edge. Turned out nice. Inside I ran the coax from the radio up through the mast support pole and out the hole at the top. There's about two inches of coax hanging there with the connector. I drilled a hole through the cabin roof and use a resealable cable exit which also works well. When I step my mast, I open the resealable cable exit, feed my coax through it (with the connector) and re-seal it. It works with a tapered rubber stopper. This way my connector is inside the cabin and out of the weather. The entire setup seems to work very well and was relatively easy to install. The worst part of the job was feed the coax through both the conduit in the mast and the mast support pole in the cabin.

Tiga1

Jun 4, 2004
- - PA
antenna installation

My boat is a 79 - I don't think there is an internal conduit. It looks like the PO held the wire in place with some sort of adhesive putty. I'm hoping to just tape the new cable to the old at the top of the mast and just pull it all through from the bottom. The old antenna mount is still there so I'm hoping I can re-use it too. The kit also comes with a Cable Clam to be used as the through deck fitting. Any one use this? (sort of sounds like what Dave described earlier). I'll have to admit - I'm a little nervous drilling a hole this big in my cabin roof. (it allows the whole connector to pass through). I guess that brings me to another question - having never drilled through the boat before - what is the best type of drill bit to use for this? I tend to agree that this radio is probably overkill for most of my sailing. When my wife and I were radio shopping we were discussing getting the boat down to the chesapeake over the summer a few times and a few other places and we opted for the fixed VHF. Oh well. Dave

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Drill bit

I use a regular set of drill bits from Dewalt. They are multi-purpose and can be used for wood, metal, etc. The boat wont be hard to drill through. Start with a small bit and then go larger. If you can, have someone hold a piece of wood against the cabin ceiling so that it doesn't split up when the bit comes through. Here's a trick for drilling the smaller holes for the screws to hold down the clam. I got it from a CD (Catalina Direct) video. After you drill the screw hole (for example using a 1/8" bit) then take a 1/2" bit and turn it, using you hand, on the 1/8" hole. This will widen up the top of the whole and prevent the fiberglass from breaking up when you screw the screw in. It used to drive me crazy when bits of gel coat broke away when I put screws in. Just give the 1/2" bit a turn or two and it wont happen. By the way, I was a skeptic about spending the $29 for a CD video but then I got the one on standing rigging and got a few tips that were well worth the $. Randy

May 20, 2004
Catalina 22 Oshkosh, WI
Re: Drillbit

I used a small hole saw on mine. It created a hole just big enough for the connector to pass through. I drilled a small pilot hole all the way through and then drilled with the hole saw halfway from the top and then halfway from the bottom. Had no gelcoat chipping at all this way. I epoxied the exposed wood in the hole to seal it just in case.

Tiga1

Jun 4, 2004
- - PA
Installation Finished!

I completed the installation on saturday and it went very well. I thank everyone for their advice. Dave- I used your advice about using the hole saw bit, only drilled halfway down from the top then drilled up from inside the cabin - nice and clean. I'll get the mast up and the boat launched tomorrow - hopefully it all works! Dave

May 20, 2004
Catalina 22 Oshkosh, WI
Re: Finished

Dave, Glad that worked out for you. Let us know how it works out after you get it launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.