Mast/Anchor light

Apr 10, 2010
Hunter 26 Boca Chica, Rep. of Panama
1996 Hunter 26 I bought a Peco combo light but my marina owner told me I should have bought a different one.
The I bought has 3 wires one white two black.
Remind me did the stock electric pannel have a toggle switch for this light? AThe stock light was all white no red and green then a white for anchor?
Upon the advice of my marina owner I upgraded the panel...If you need the panal info to answer let me know. It is not a stock panel like it had..
I should have come better prepared to make this inquiry.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My Hunter had a combo light where a PO had both power leads going to the same contact on a SPST switch. When I rewired the mast I installed a SPDT switch, then I ran the anchor and steaming lamps to it so only one or the other could be lit. The old SPST switch was then dedicated to the deck lamp only.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
My Hunter had a combo light where a PO had both power leads going to the same contact on a SPST switch. When I rewired the mast I installed a SPDT switch, then I ran the anchor and steaming lamps to it so only one or the other could be lit. The old SPST switch was then dedicated to the deck lamp only.
With a combo light you need to be able to turn on both the steaming and anchor light independently at the same time, providing an all-around mast head light. That's the way mine is wired.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
With a combo light you need to be able to turn on both the steaming and anchor light independently at the same time, providing an all-around mast head light. That's the way mine is wired.
That's not logical. You can't be anchored and steaming at the same time. But you can be anchored and using a deck light. Even steaming and using the deck light.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
That's not logical. You can't be anchored and steaming at the same time. But you can be anchored and using a deck light. Even steaming and using the deck light.
Well, let me put it this way. My Perko light has two bulbs. One forward for steaming and one aft. While steaming only the one forward is on. While anchored both lights are lit for all around, controlled with two switches.
images.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2010
Hunter 26 Boca Chica, Rep. of Panama
That's the light installed now but its just working as an anchor. Passed on your info to my matina owner. Not aure my panel has the options needed though.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The original panel light switch called for an on/off/on switch on the panel. Have seen that on some European models as well as US made boats. You can buy them thru the forum store. It could also be an issue with the deck plug too

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I always believed that the steaming light was positioned midway up the mast to distinguish from the anchor light.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I always believed that the steaming light was positioned midway up the mast to distinguish from the anchor light.
You are correct.
"The light is usually placed about 2/3 of the way up the mast. The masthead light on a sailboat should not be confused with the tricolor light or the anchor light, which are both located at the top of the mast. On vessels under 12m, the masthead light and sternlight can be combined into a single all-round white light."

The arrangement on my boat is how it came from the factory with the exception of the switch. I replaced my switch panel and opted to use two of the switches that came pre-wired on the panel, but the affect is the same as using a on/off/on switch. The running lights of course are at deck level. Having the white lights for steaming and anchor at the top of the mast is not a problem.