Massasauga Provincial Park

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
We are planning to spend some time in the Georgian Bay, Killbear / Parry Sound area this summer. We've been around Franklin Island in previous years but were thinking to circumnavigate Parry Island and explore Massasauga Provincial Park this year. Are there any favourite suggestions for anchorages suitable for a H26?

Also... does anyone know if Henry's fish restaurant will be open this summer under new owners?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Yes Henry's is open.
Franklin is one of our go-to spots on the weekends.
Lots of little bays you can get into in Massassauga. Look up Port Rawson Bay. I would suggest you get the Ports Book for Georgian Bay. It has all the anchorages and how to get into them. There's also a map of anchorages and mooring buoys within the park. You can also camp on shore if you wish.

http://www.portsbooks.com/georgian-bay-the-north-channel-lake-huron/

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Thanks Scott. Yes I do have the Ports Book (2007 edition) which is a bit confusing at times but we have used it extensively when cruising the North Channel. I'm also looking to get a copy of "The Great Outdoors Map - French Severn Forest" which is supposed to show all the crown land. Last year we over-nighted at an anchorage accessible from the west side of Franklin (Windsor Island). It was pretty and well protected but a bit wild when we exited in the morning.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
I have the crown land map and is helpful but too large scale to be really useful. I also have a map of the Massassauga Park which is better that shows all the anchorages . I have the '10 version of Port's, not much different and yes can be confusing especially in that area .I like to have the charts open at the same time while I'm reading Port's . Our favourite spot at Franklin was to the SE corner just outside Regatta Bay .Less crowded and a small beach if you can get onto it, it's the first camp site taken. Just have to watch for winds from the south .

Killbear Park is also a good spot to check out in Killcoursie Bay. Lots of beach and the park has hiking trails and a nice interpretive centre .also fun to sit on the sunset rock and watch the sun go down.

May 23, 2012
Hunter 30 Midland, Ontario, Canada
We're heading up to the Massasauga next week. We're leaving Midland on Saturday and working our way up slowly. Should get there on Monday or Tuesday.
Scott, we're meeting up with Chamonix, who I believe you know, at Beausoleil Island on Saturday.
Fred, we're Sea Dragon - a Hunter 30'. I'll look out for you.

Sep 20, 2006
Yep, too funny were just texting with them today. Saw the disaster at Bay Moorings last week and wondered where they ended up.

Our boat is at Hindson's, just finished up some repairs over the winter. We're heading north this weekend so will meet you at Beausoliel Sat. We'll most likely head over late Fri. and will be just off Tonche Point just in front of the Y camp. Chamonix know where we'll be. We're just texting them now to let them know we'll be there.

May 23, 2012
Hunter 30 Midland, Ontario, Canada
Looking forward to finally meeting you. I was Flyingwelshman on the other site.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
We won’t be there until the 18th. We expect to spend a fair bit of time around Killbear, the attraction being several children and grand children who will be camping there. We are very familiar with Killbear as we have camped there for decades. Sailing the area is a bit of a newer adventure.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
We’ve splashed the boat at Killbear Marina and are headed out today. Any recommendations and intelligence on local anchorages are welcome. Kilcoursie Bay is on our itinerary. Franklin Island as well but not sure where yet. As well as Massassuga. S/v Bebob