Mass/RI travel restrictions?!?!?!?!?!

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I just got my power and internet back after almost 24 hours due to a storm so I apologize if someone has posted something like this already.

Governor Baker of Massachusetts has put a travel restriction for anyone entering Mass from RI and they have to quarantine for 14 days. Well of course I live in MA but my boat is in Narragansett Bay RI. There are so many questions with the first being WTF? Second is, does that mean me sailing on my boat with my family now puts us in jeopardy of violating some order. Third is how in the world are they going to enforce something like this. This is my first year back sailing after a 5 year boat hiatus so I REALLY don't want to not use it:soapbox::banghead:. Anyone have any thoughts, constructive or otherwise.

Rhode Island added to Massachusetts travel order

Attachments

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I just got my power and internet back after almost 24 hours due to a storm so I apologize if someone has posted something like this already.

Governor Baker of Massachusetts has put a travel restriction for anyone entering Mass from RI and they have to quarantine for 14 days. Well of course I live in MA but my boat is in Narragansett Bay RI. There are so many questions with the first being WTF? Second is, does that mean me sailing on my boat with my family now puts us in jeopardy of violating some order. Third is how in the world are they going to enforce something like this. This is my first year back sailing after a 5 year boat hiatus so I REALLY don't want to not use it:soapbox::banghead:. Anyone have any thoughts, constructive or otherwise.

Rhode Island added to Massachusetts travel order
You are screwed...:)
Just kidding. I live in RI South County and I can t see any evidence of enforcement of any rules or "executive orders" at all. If I were you I would just drive to my boat and enjoy and not expect any hassle at all. We just came back from a cruise to the Vineyard and were not subjected to any hassle at all from anyone, MA, RI, CG, USN, CIA....:)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You can obey the spirit of the order by planning ahead with gear, food, gas etc. and not interacting with anyone while enjoying your boat. Consider your sail time an extreme form of quarantine. :biggrin:

"Yes officer, I was just trying to get as far away from other people as I could and could not do that on land:cowbell:"

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
NY also listed RI as a state requiring quarantine. For the most part this is an honor system quarantine, however, the quarantines are imposed because the virus is not well controlled in the state being quarantined. In RI the numbers of infections must be high, thus the quarantine.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
NY also listed RI as a state requiring quarantine. For the most part this is an honor system quarantine, however, the quarantines are imposed because the virus is not well controlled in the state being quarantined. In RI the numbers of infections must be high, thus the quarantine.
The governor here shut everything down pretty aggressively but has recently been on a path to return the economy to normalcy. That has resulted in a small increase in daily cases since the first of July. The total is still low but trending up. It is absolutely necessary to observe SD and mask requirements.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
News reported last night that check points will be going up in New York City. Fines as much as $10K for failure to comply.

Going to play havoc with the Governors attempts to get the wealthy back to NYC.

Saw a cute response to a stop of a single driver in the HOV lane. “Officer I am just trying to comply with the social distancing regulations. The rest of the party was in the car behind me!”

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
New York City is scared of another outbreak. The numbers there last spring were horrific and the residents made tremendous sacrifices to get the virus under control. They don't want to go back to those days. I spoke to an ICU doc who practices just outside the city, one one shift he trounced 5 Covid patients as dead.

Travel to infected areas is one of the vectors. Yesterday almost half of the new cases came from people who travelled. And this week thousands of college students start arriving in the region. We are concerned.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm assuming FL is on the NY no-no list. I wanted to drive up to LI and maybe spend some hurricane season there but it seems like a problem with almost every state on the way! The irony is that our county is in pretty good shape and FL #'s have been improving recently.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
If you are trying to find out whether or not you're breaking the LETTER OF THE LAW... yes, you are. If you're trying to figure out whether or not you'll get caught... unlikely. If you're trying to figure out how to avoid getting caught... keep in mind, you're not breaking any rules to LEAVE MA toward RI, or go sailing in RI. It's when you cross back into MA that you are technically breaking rules. However, I'll bet there are exceptions for people travelling to provide essential services, or to get medical care, or to buy medicine. That's been the case with most of the other "lockdown" language I've seen over the months. So hypothetically, if you were to get pulled over in MA coming across from RI, and you were asked what you were doing, and you had a recent drug store receipt... or... had some medical condition (like a raging case of "dry-land-phobia") which required you to travel for treatment, you'd be okay. By the way, I'm pretty sure it is a HIPAA violation for someone to ask for specifics about your health conditions or medications... so just "travelling for medical reasons" should be enough that it would be illegal to demand answers to any/all follow-up questions. That being said... while it SHOULD work, you'd also be providing false statements to a police officer, which is NOT something I'd advise.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... That's been the case with most of the other "lockdown" language I've seen over the months.
Yep! NC just extended their Phase II but if you read the exceptions it seems to only affect bowling alleys and movie theaters:cowbell:.

• Ha
Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
The MA governor has said enforcement of his quarantine is on the 'honor system which pretty much means it is a joke and can be ignored, although you should always act prudently.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I am here in New York and just read that RI is on the list.... I was in Block Island for a week or so in July before departing for other ports. Funny thing.... my daughter took the Montauk Ferry (NY) to Block Island to spend a few days with us and there was no mention of a quarantine. Also the web site for the ferry makes no mention of the restriction....... You would think they would be telling people. Maybe they forgot Block Island is part of RI.

Greg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Saw a cute response to a stop of a single driver in the HOV lane. “Officer I am just trying to comply with the social distancing regulations. The rest of the party was in the car behind me!”
Where in the world do you find HOV lanes? I haven't seen any in at least a decade.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
"Live Free or Die." Is that just an empty slogan now? I guess the answer to your question might depend upon how the travel restriction is worded. When we were boat shopping, the broker in Rhode Island told us in April / early May not to come. In Massachusetts, the brokers were happy to have us come, but we couldn't stay overnight because hotels could not book a room for us. We made a few long day trips to Mass, driving around RI to avoid any potential traffic stops, which we heard were happening for a while. In Mass, the roadside signs flashed, if you are visiting, you are "urged" or "strongly urged" to quarantine for 14 days. This makes absolutely no sense, because where are you supposed to quarantine? I'll take the "urging" as a meaningless and futile suggestion. Just tell "the authorities" that you came to protest and you want to vandalize somebody's property. That should give you a free pass. :facepalm:

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we're vacationing here in MA since 8-1. the MA dmv posted their travel rules which are 1/ you need a neg covid test WITHIN THE PAST 72 hours to enter MA, or you need to quarantine for 14 days. OR 2/ if you are just passing thru MA 'transitory', (such as , passing thru from PA to get to maine) you need to transit and leave the state of MA w/in 24 hrs. RI and MA both want you to register online and prove you tested neg within past 72 hours at your expense, which is pretty much impossible as the cheaper test sites like cvs and rite-aid are reporting test results 6 to 12 days out. so we got tested in PA, registered w MA , and are legal in MA . we are taking our chances being 'transitory' to get back to PA thru NY and RI. as to NYC, yes-- they are stopping train/plane/bus travelers and were threatenieng to spot check cars on the CW bridge-- but abandoned the random foreign-pcar stop plan per last nite's news.