Mary E

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps someone on board shouted SHARKS TO PORT and everyone rushed to the port side to look?
Appears the Mary E is a bit tender after being in the yard.

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Really hate to see that happen to a beautiful old boat like that, but glad everyone aboard made it ashore safely.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am glad everyone is safe. The boat will be raised. Hope the problem can be identified. Knew the skipper of the Bounty but in that case he sailed into hurricane Sandy and lost his life. You can repair or replace boats but not lives. Great to hear the locals assisted given the climate of today

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
They have already raised her, just waiting now for the next report.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Now that's a down right shame. It's always sad to see the old girls in trouble, but especially so if she was under your command in the past. I sailed her as a tour boat for the Connecticut River Museum the summer before I set off for the Caribbean on Skipping Stone.
As an old fishing boat, she wasn't all spit and polish, but she was a grand old gal. I doubt that this is her first sinking in 115 years.
Andrew at the helm Schooner Mary E (2).JPG

Jun 16, 2020
Hinckley Sou’wester 30 Falmouth ME
Local paper reported:

“On Saturday, the [Maine Maritime] museum wrote on its Facebook page: ‘Yesterday was a difficult day for the Maine Maritime Museum family. The schooner Mary E suffered a knockdown off Doubling Point Light on the Kennebec River, just downriver from the museum.’ A knock down is a colloquial term to describe when a boat is tipped on its side, either by wind or a wave, about 90 degrees to the point where its sails or masts are in the water. Winds in the area at the time were 10-15 knots — about 11-17 mph — with some higher gusts.”

Seems remarkable to me that a boat that size would have suffered a “knock down” on the river at those wind speeds?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I wish they would have actual sailors proof those stories. Sank, it did. "Capsize" it did not. The quote in post 8 sounds accurate.

Oct 2, 2008
I’m wondering if it was aground at low tide when the wind caught it, then currents helping to put it on it’s side.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I wish they would have actual sailors proof those stories
Where is the fun in that? How can they provide their journalistic narrative to please their audience if they start proof reading and fact checking their work.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Glad all ok. Yes, more to this story as that was not a huge wind. Of course the "self righting" feature was not available back when she was built.

Oct 2, 2008
Viewing a video of the event, one man appears to be standing by the mast. I’m going with my thoughts on running aground.

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
I have not seen any video, but read this account of the experience by one of the passengers.

That account is funny. According to the account the boat flipped totally over (AKA capsized) and sailed perfectly boats just do that sometimes (quotes bellow).

"When the captain turned the sails to change the ship’s course, it capsized. "said Nordlander.
"“The captain did everything by the book,” said Nordlander. “Everything was done right. It’s just one of those freak accidents.”