Mark II Rudder questions...

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I have a 1987 MkII. As far as I read through everything online, there's nothing to it but something that holds it up top above the tube and a couple of shims between the rudder and the hull. I have not disassembled anything yet other than inspecting the quadrant wheel.

I have been hearing a bit of creaking noise coming from SOMEWHERE in the rudder post area. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from though. Steering doesn't seem to make it happen, so either an up/down or side pressure change on the rudder that makes it happen. I can hear it at the dock too when a big boat goes nearby and my boat rocks around.

There is a little bit of play in the rudder I can see as well from the top. I don't know if I can say if it's more than 1/8" or not.

I've ready about slop, shimming, adding resin, and checking the hull. I've seen the basic diagrams, but I have not seen a detail of what holds the rudder up at the top and what it's riding on as bearing of some kind. It's a bit confusing because the older models are different with other bearings and stuffing boxes, but this one doesn't have that. Does anyone have any details on this type of rudder assembly or photos of what's at the top? I've seen photos of the MkII quandrant and the empty rudder tube. I just don't know what the anatomy of the top of the rudder is, what exactly is it riding on? Does the Edson wheel pully just un-bolt from it? Or is that also holding it up?

I'll be hauling out in about a month and can look at anything that needs to be addressed, but I will have limited time out of the water, so I'd like to be prepared.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
I have a mk-I, but your mk-II C-30 Owner's Manual shows the steering arrangement. There's a thrust washer that takes the downward weight. You can download drawings and a manual over on the IC30 Forum website. There's also mk-II owners who can assist you.

You're correct the stuffing box was done away with after the mk-I

Catalina30+subscribe@groups.io

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@jonelli Check out this thread about the noise I had from my rudder and what I found to be the cause.
Rudder Noise
The radial wheel is clamped to the rudder shaft and keeps it from dropping out of the boat so be sure to support the bottom of the rudder to keep it from dropping.
And be sure to use a lot of PB Blaster on the bolts and nuts holding the radial wheel. I used a small hammer drill and after soaking for a few days all of the bolts came out easily. If you do crack the wheel they are not cheap to replace.