MarineAir System Issue

jhagg

Sep 2, 2012
Hunter 44DS Frenchmans Bay
Hi - I have a 2004 Hunter 44 DS and there is an issue with the aft air conditioner, forward unit works fine. The Passport control does not seem to want to switch from the heat cycle (heat works fine). I’ve run it through test mode and the air conditioning kicks in and runs fine so I’ve ruled out the reversing valve. Anyone have a similar issue and solution? Is there a re-set on the Passport control panel back to factory settings?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Hi - I have a 2004 Hunter 44 DS and there is an issue with the aft air conditioner, forward unit works fine. The Passport control does not seem to want to switch from the heat cycle (heat works fine). I’ve run it through test mode and the air conditioning kicks in and runs fine so I’ve ruled out the reversing valve. Anyone have a similar issue and solution? Is there a re-set on the Passport control panel back to factory settings?

I'm confused, does the Cooling work or doesn't it? I would have guess the reversing valve too.

jhagg

Sep 2, 2012
The cooling will only kick in when the Passport control is put into test mode. Test mode does 10 minutes heat, 5 minutes fan and 10 minutes cooling continuously until turned off. Under normal operation it won’t move to cooling function for some reason.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If the control unit is the same for both the forward and aft units, you might try swapping them to see if you can isolate the issue to the control module. I think that's where the control boards are located.. Call "Marine Air" (now Dometic, I think) and ask them.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I had to swap displays to find out the display was the problem when my salon A/C refused to allow temperature adjustment. On my boat, the displays were held in place with double stick tape. It was easy with a credit card or plastic scraper to get between the cabinet and the display to free it, in less than 5 minutes. Then just plug the "good" display in and you will know immeadiatly where the problem lies.

jhagg

Sep 2, 2012
Thanks for the tip, I did have a quick look and wasn’t sure how they were held in place. I’ll be sure to try the scraper tonight.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am experiencing the same problem on my Newest Dometic Turbo 8KBTU unit.
I am not through trouble shooting yet, but will know for sure by the weekend.

In the test mode, the cooling cycle worked fine and I made sure the seawater flow was maximum and it was heating in the cooling cycle.
_____
The start up relay "chattered" on my unit.
______
I bought a new control cable since it appeared that the "plug in" at the power box was the problem.
So we will direct plug from display to power box for a test.

I think it is the power box printed circuit board, at this point.
You will need the serial and model number for the newest Dometic products.
Jim...

jhagg

Sep 2, 2012
Thanks Jim, good luck! Let me know how it works out for you.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I will take pictures and let you know. Going to boat tomorrow morning for testing.
Jim...

Jun 15, 2012
Jim, if the relay is "chattering" the problem could be the control board, the connecting cable, the connection for the cable on the board, the display or the relay itself. Sometimes I have found the problem just to be a weak connection between the cable and the board. You might want to try spraying the connector on the board with electronic cleaner and re insert the cable.

jhagg

Sep 2, 2012
Success! I found a copy of the Passport control manual and was able to reset the control. It was set for heat mode only, which explains why it worked in test mode. Working well now!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Jim, if the relay is "chattering" the problem could be the control board
That is my guess too. We took out the board and double cleaned and verified it was the possible board control cable cord.
_____
I found a copy of the Passport control manual
I was going to PDF mine to you but mine is Dometic 2016 version.
____
My 16kBTU front cabin unit keeps on chugging along. :dancing:
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
For future reference , here is a picture of the 2016 Dometic circuit board.
rs=h-650,cg-true.jpeg

The Marine Air Display Jack is what we thought at first.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It was the circuit board.

The display cable plug "Marine Air Display Jack" apparently fatigued and broke the clip to circuit board.
Hard to find, but explains the chattering from slight vibrations on startup.

I am trying to verify the most updated PCB from Dometic.

New Tip: Make sure your display cable has strain relief inside the power box.

Jim...

Jun 15, 2012
Sounds like something that could be repaired with a soldering iron. I wonder how much the board will cost?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Sounds like something that could be repaired with a soldering iron. I wonder how much the board will cost?
In my youth, and a pinpoint soldering iron, I would have done that.:cool:
Cost about $280

But the kicker is the PCB release number. Mine is release "00F" which I heard was now OLD [late 2016]
If you look at the picture above it was release "00D"

Jun 15, 2012
FYI, I replaced the salon A/C last year in my 41DS with a new Dometic replacement unit. It came with a new display, with a different design from the old one. I was able to use the old display with no problems with the new replacement unit, just plugged in the cable. I bet the control board is also the same even though there might be different release numbers.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ok after finding the correct place to call, I got the newest control board called

"Unity Board"

Guess why? :laugh:

I bet the control board is also the same
Where is my beer?

I called Dometic Tech service, got a Tech , told him the problem and he gave me the part number "223100502".
Told him the "fatigue" issue he said they normally make a loop with excess cable and wire wrap that loop for
"sail boat" strain relief.

He asked my location for a Distributor near me. Long story, but that Distributor is mad at me since I didn't buy a new Grunert Frig unit for $5200. [I replaced the compressor for $500]

He gave me the Dometic "Big" Distributer in Texas "AER Marine" 800-767-7606
Called them and will get the board on Tuesday, total cost $279 [saved $21, no tax , no shipping]
Jim...

PS: Dometic auto caller and they listed 6 brand names of marine Air systems. Unity is needed.:cool:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Just got my new board. Version 00K.
Look close at the solder break on my old board.
Solderbroke.jpeg

I had to press down on that connecter to show the breaks. Hard to find at first.
Jim...

PS: The new board came with mounting screws also.