Marine surveyor

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J Manley

Does anyone know of a good surveyor in the New Hampshire area for the 31 (1984) we are looking at? One surveyor tells me he cannot test the engine because it is not in the water yet? Isn't that one of the more important items to check??

R

Rip Edmundson

Engine is IMPORTANT

Yes, the engine is important! I bought a 31 last November and the dealer put it in the water for a couple of hours so my surveyor could check it out. You could always make an acceptable engine survey a contingency of the sale with a holdback that would pay for the worst possible outcome of the survey. Good luck. I haven't been sailing on our 31 yet. I hope the mast doesn't fall.

C

Colin Campbell

Test your engine on land!

I disconnected the engine cooling water intake hose from the through-hull and connected it to a garden hose to allow water to be pumped through via a garden hose to test my engine on dry land. It only took me 1/2 hour and well worth the time.

B

Bob England

Flooding the muffler

You might be better off putting the end of the hose into a bucket full of water, than forcing water into the system from a garden hose. People have said that if the muffler gets too full of water before the engine starts and provides exhaust pressure to blow the water out, the engine might not start due to exhaust back pressure. Also, with some systems, there is a danger of getting water back into the cylinders! Some people even advise closing the cooling water inlet thru hull if the engine doesn't start in a reasonable time when in the water. Of course, you have to remember to open it up as soon as the engine starts.

P

Pete

CHECK ENGINE

A ENGINE SURVEY IS A MUST ! PUT THE BOAT IN THE WATER AND TEST IT ! Your surveyor told you correctly that the only real way is to put the boat in the water and run the boat with load to test engine also checking all the rigging and sails will be easier. If not I would hold at least $2500. dollar back pending a in water engine test if you must close on the boat before putting it in the water.Even so $2500 won't buy a engine rebuild if needed. Personaly I would never buy a boat without a DRY/WET survey. Good Luck!

R

Ron Dague

No bucket, no hose

I had my boat surveyed, both in and out of water in February. The Yanmar ran fine at idle and at low speeds. But when we attempted to increase speed, it would overheat after about 3-5 minutes. The seller spent close to $500 before the problem was diagnosed and solved. This would never have been found with the boat on land where the engine is not under continuous load as it is when motoring.

J

Jim O'Brien

hose connection

I agree with using a bucket to restrict the flow, but I connect the hose directly to the water pump. Easier to reach and it still tests the functioality of the pump.

J

Jay Hill

I agree with in-the-water

Not only will the engine be tested, but the entire steering system. Wheel, chain, cables, sprockets, pressure, steerage, linkage, etc. A test sail should also be in order to test the age/wear on the sails. Unless, of course, the surveyor can look at the sail laid out on the ground and see excessive draft. (Not likely.) I'd get underway

M

Mark Johnson

Definately "inwater"

Like other posters have mentioned..you want to run the engine under load as well as checking the transmission, shaft alignment, vibrations etc. If it's not possible to launch at this time make sure you get alot of money in escrow to provide for anything that might be wrong. Mark Johnson

A

Alan Nye

Surveyor in Vermont

There is an excellent surveyor in the Burlington VT area and I know he travels some, his name is Grant MItchell, he has done two hunters for me a 25 and a 28.5 and he owns a 31 I beleive, his number is 802-496-5447. His costs are reasonable and his knowledge and capabilities are exceptional would take him anywhere to look at a boat for me. Good luck

T

Thorp Thomas

Tom Echels

Get a hold of Tom Echels through Seacoast Marine in Newbury Port, MA. Their web site is seacostmarine.com or call them directly. Tom know hunters better than anyone else I know. BTW: where is this hunter located, maybe I know it...

J

J Manley

Location of Hunter 32 (1984)

The boat is on land in Wolfboro, NH. at the Yacht Club. Her name is 20/20....

J

J Manley

Location of Hunter 31(1984)

The boat is on land in Wolfboro, NH. at the Yacht Club. Her name is 20/20.... SORRY< it's a 31....not 32...

C

Canadice Stein

Another vote for the Vermont surveyor

I'll back up Alan Nye. We bought a H28 last spring and the time that Grant Mitchell spent with us as our surveyor was priceless. He encourages you to be present during the survey and the more questions you ask, the more you will learn. We've actually been through two surveys with him and both were very informative. If you have any questions about the surveys he did for us, drop us a line. The e mail address we have for him is adventure@madriver.com Best of luck, Canadice

T

Thorp Thomas

My home port

That's where I am, I know the boat very well, it belongs to my friend Lou Fantosi... It's a good boat, Lou seldom used it for anything other than day sailing, even that was only 2-3 times per month. Call John (603) 569-1234 at the Club he can give you an complete rundown on all the service provided by the club. I do recall there being a problem with the engine (from lack of use) but I'm sure John fixed it. Tom Echels is you best bet for the surveyor (he sold & serviced Hunters for years) and he's only 75 miles away. It will be sad to see the ole girl leave the club. Why not join... best facility and sailing around? You can e-mail me if you want more information heatkit@mediaone.net

Status
Not open for further replies.