Marine store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
Need suggestion for good marine store with a good selection of foul weather gear in the Ft Lauderdale or Miami area. Would WM be a choice? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
Need suggestion for good marine store with a good selection of foul weather gear in the Ft Lauderdale or Miami area. Would WM be a choice? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Punta Gorda, Fl.
A good choice, but...

WM is a good place to start but I would suggest holding on until the Miami Strictly Sail show coming up around Feb 10. Usually the shows will bring out stores we haven't heard of and will also bring in dealers from other areas.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Punta Gorda, Fl.
A good choice, but...

WM is a good place to start but I would suggest holding on until the Miami Strictly Sail show coming up around Feb 10. Usually the shows will bring out stores we haven't heard of and will also bring in dealers from other areas.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Marine prices for poor gear

is heard many times, and is also applicable to foul weather gear. REI and other sporting gear companies have been reported to provide superior material and equipment at much lower prices. Do some homework first.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Marine prices for poor gear

is heard many times, and is also applicable to foul weather gear. REI and other sporting gear companies have been reported to provide superior material and equipment at much lower prices. Do some homework first.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
You may find some stuff at Sailorman

in Ft. Lauderdale. The weather channel outfits their crews with L.L. Bean or Lands End.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
You may find some stuff at Sailorman

in Ft. Lauderdale. The weather channel outfits their crews with L.L. Bean or Lands End.

B

Big Joe

Me too

I too use an alpine waterproof / windproof jacket made by Marmot and WM bibs. The mountaineering guys face extremely harsh environments and the waterproof gear they use is awesome and cheaper than the top shelf marine offerings. Regards and Happy New Year, Big Joe

B

Big Joe

Me too

I too use an alpine waterproof / windproof jacket made by Marmot and WM bibs. The mountaineering guys face extremely harsh environments and the waterproof gear they use is awesome and cheaper than the top shelf marine offerings. Regards and Happy New Year, Big Joe

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
West Marine not too bad....

just don't buy the cheap stuff. We came up the cost and I got set of $20 rain gear. That was one of the stupidest thing I ever did!

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
West Marine not too bad....

just don't buy the cheap stuff. We came up the cost and I got set of $20 rain gear. That was one of the stupidest thing I ever did!

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
If you are going to wait for the Show

don't expect to find a lot of choices at the Strictly Sail portion of the show. The Miami Boat show is divided into three venues: Strictly Sail, which is an in water boat show and has several large tents of sail-related vendors; the in water portion of the power boat show, which is enormous and at a completely different location; and the gigantic indoor vendor display area (usually at the Miami Beach Convention Center) for smaller powerboats and everything else. The best selection of anything that is not sail-specific (including foul weather gear) will be at the general indoor vendor area. West Marine will probably have a big set up at Strictly Sail, as will a few other dealers. However, there will be a bigger selection of dealers at the other location. If you already know what brand/style of gear you want, I suggest checking out Defender.com. They usually beat West Marine's prices.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
If you are going to wait for the Show

don't expect to find a lot of choices at the Strictly Sail portion of the show. The Miami Boat show is divided into three venues: Strictly Sail, which is an in water boat show and has several large tents of sail-related vendors; the in water portion of the power boat show, which is enormous and at a completely different location; and the gigantic indoor vendor display area (usually at the Miami Beach Convention Center) for smaller powerboats and everything else. The best selection of anything that is not sail-specific (including foul weather gear) will be at the general indoor vendor area. West Marine will probably have a big set up at Strictly Sail, as will a few other dealers. However, there will be a bigger selection of dealers at the other location. If you already know what brand/style of gear you want, I suggest checking out Defender.com. They usually beat West Marine's prices.

MABell

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 26 Orygun
Most anywhere else…

You can get most any marine gear your looking for cheaper than WM. Having said that, my physiology is that if you have to go to “brick and mortar” store to see or try on something – you should pay the extra price for that service. My favorite source is Defender. An interesting note: know why WM has product manufactured with their name on it? So they don’t have to price match it.

MABell

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 26 Orygun
Most anywhere else…

You can get most any marine gear your looking for cheaper than WM. Having said that, my physiology is that if you have to go to “brick and mortar” store to see or try on something – you should pay the extra price for that service. My favorite source is Defender. An interesting note: know why WM has product manufactured with their name on it? So they don’t have to price match it.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Not always true MaBell

WM also brands merchandise that ony they contract manufacturers for. Spreader boots for example. Tempo stopped making aero shaped spreader boots last year. WM is now the only retailer that has them. And for the record, WM(unofficially) does price match their own branded stuff. My store has great empoyees that I have formed a relationship with. They can be very accommodating to loyal customers. I just bought some big ticket hatches there for less than anything I could find on the Internet. Tim R.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Not always true MaBell

WM also brands merchandise that ony they contract manufacturers for. Spreader boots for example. Tempo stopped making aero shaped spreader boots last year. WM is now the only retailer that has them. And for the record, WM(unofficially) does price match their own branded stuff. My store has great empoyees that I have formed a relationship with. They can be very accommodating to loyal customers. I just bought some big ticket hatches there for less than anything I could find on the Internet. Tim R.

Status
Not open for further replies.