MARINE GROWTH

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Not sure where any uncivil discourse has taken place here
Obviously, I can't speak for the SBO PoliceBot, however, the AI monitoring the forums might have noticed responses that were on the arrogant and mocking side of civilized discourse. Perhaps it has been programed to intervene early before things get out of hand.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
If your Micron CSC has been out of the water for an extended period, all you need to do to 'reactivate' it is to give it a light scrub with a Scotchbrite pad and fresh water. This is true for a lot of ablative paints.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If your Micron CSC has been out of the water for an extended period, all you need to do to 'reactivate' it is to give it a light scrub with a Scotchbrite pad and fresh water. This is true for a lot of ablative paints.
The rate at which the surface copper oxidizes when exposed to air varies with ambient conditions more so than simple chronology so that is always a good idea and recommended by every manufacturer.

BruceC

Oct 6, 2008
Oday 26 So. Orleans
If you were not using the boat frequently, I suspect you need not look any further than remarks made by "Don S/V", where he states what you have described as excessive marine growth is probably due to lack of movement of the boat. It is unlikely the boat's condition has anything to due with temperature change. Many sailors prefer an ablative paint as opposed to a hard paint to minimize paint build-up over time; however, if the boat remains unused for a significant period (say several weeks or less) you will undoubtedly experience the conditions you describe irrespective of the amount or quality of the ablative bottom paint.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
OK, I have used a "Single-Season Ablative" in the past, Petit "NEPTUNE" I think it was, Interlux Fiberglass Bottomkote Ablative is another, and i had previously used Interlux "Aquarius" (I think that was the name, but no longer made). All were considered "Single-Season", despite being an ablative, which really just means that the coating slowly washes away avoiding build up.

Typical Multi-Season Ablatives do require a gentle scrub or light power-washing before relaunch after a Winter haul and storage. Being out for less that 24 hours, I would not expect to need to do that, so the OP's haulout would not seem to be the cause. It was just a bad year for fouling? My DS II is in brackish water, in Buzzards Bay near Cape Cod, due to weather and dealing with sciatic leg pains, I did not use my boat much for the last 4-6 week of the season, and when I hauled out I has major fouling on my centerboard (kept partway down while moored), resulting in the centerboard not being able to retract into the trunk as the boat came up onto the trailer. I did get it to retract by use of a scraper to remove most of the barnacles, but it was an adventure to be sure! I used Petit Neptune 5, which has usually kept the bottom mostly free of barnacles, except along the waterline, where the paint gets worn down by constant rocking from powerboat wakes rolling in from the main channel about 1/2 miles away.