Marine AC

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
Hello all I have enjoyed reading this forum. I Have a Marine Air AC. Last month it stopped working with the HHH fault code. I was getting a bottom job so I asked the ship yard to look at the AC as well. They charged me 500 dollars and said it works fine. They hooked it up to a water hose. Anyway I got the boat back last week and of course it does not work. I though since they said it was working on the gardenhose maybe it just needed a new raw water pump so I replaced that. Now the controller displays no lights and the blower motor just comes on and runs. Should I replace the controller? I found a new drop in system from defender for 1400, but that does not come with the controller anyway. Any thoughts would be helpful. Also I has the yard replace the oil in my perfectly working Enetec 4KW gen. Now it comes on and shuts off after 15 minutes with a night exhaust temperature display. And the exhaust is over 185, so it's right. Thanks again.

Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
First suggestion is a new yard.

Sorry to say can't help with any of the rest.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Check your thru hulls and make sure they are open. If not, the HVAC will stop for lack of water flow. Also, if the generator thru hull was not open, it would burn out your impeller really fast. Did you check for water flow? Sounds like it couldn't have been this and probably isn't, but it happens that all of us sometimes forget to open them.[

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Learned to sail on Arkabutla in catamarans back in the 68/69 times..
Is the water strainer cleaned and the through hull valve opened? The symptoms of the air conditioner and generator and propulsion engine all sound like the through hull water valves are closed. If the valves are opened, you may have air pockets in the lines that are keeping the cooling water from flowing. This may have already cooked your impellers in the generator and engine. The air conditioner pump is not self priming so it must be full of water before it is turned on. The AC unit will trip off to blower if the cooling water is not flowing.
On the engines, pull the hose off the inlet side of the impeller pumps.. water should flow freely out of them when you lower the end of the hose to below the waterline. Once you have water there, put the hose back on and pull the hose from that pump at the heat exchanger inlet.. crank the engine briefly and verify that water comes out of that hose.. Put it back on the heat exchanger and loosen the hose on the mixing elbow.. again briefly start the engine and verify water flowing freely into the exhaust ell. The ell may get warm, so be careful. Put the hose back on and then run the engine to test .. If the impeller is fried, you'll have to replace it to get water to flow through the exchanger and into the mixing elbow.. The generator can be explored in exactly the same way.. Good Luck..

EDIT: Jerry beat me to the post.. i agree with his post..

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Ah, could just hire a refrigeration mechanic to check it out. I had a problem with one of my units and the mechanic found a bad capacitor. Never would have found that on my own.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Ummm....so this yard charges $500 to hook up a garden hose and tells you it works? That probably took all of a half hour. That's $1000 an hour. Did they look anything like the guys that changed Clark Griswolds tires?