Marine A/C install in an 83 Oday 28?

May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
Anybody have an oday 28 that has had ac installed?
If so where?
I have access to a unit and pump for 600 and was thinking of where it could be installed

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We had AC added to our 28 over the winter and it's been great. We had an 8K BTU unit installed which just barely fit under the aft half of the port setee. From there one duct was run toward the galley, and another forward into the head, where it's split into two ducts, one venting into the main part of the salon and another into the v-berth. The 8K unit cools the boat well except during the heat of the hottest days, when it struggles to get below 80. Even then, the reduced humidity makes things comfortable. Our second choice location would've been under the stove, but we would have lost more storage space there. The below picture shows the installation before the ducts were run. image-3500094620.jpg

image-1115361204.jpg

May 24, 2011
Thanks, would you happen to have the make and model of the unit installed?

May 24, 2011
I see the dometic vector turbo series but i dont see that model???

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think it's basically an STQ8K. I forget what all the other distinguishing characters are.

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I have a suggestion if you plan to install the unit yourself.
I've been working with a company called Aqua Air. I get personal design help. They make the smallest self contained unit on the market. http://www.aquaair.net/SSIG_Self_Contained_Units__80706-11.pdf

I will be installing one soon and then another as I get further south on my way down to the Bahamas. The boat is now in Lake Superior so no rush to get it installed.
The prices seem to be very good.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I have been thinking of installing a unit. It would seem that the wet locker across from the head is the most logical place for it to go on an Oday 35. I hate to give up that space however. A friend with an Oday 34 (same boat) recently installed an 11,000 btu unit in this location and it seems to be sufficient. I think at least 16,000 btu unit is probably best. I'm wondering if two small 8k units would actually be better? Maybe they could fit under the settees and be used independently as needed?

May 16, 2011
Oday 28 Niceville, FL
I have an AC installed in my 28. When I got the boat it was installed under the port setee. I was never happy with the performance and it's a pain to service. I have since installed a shelf in the storage locker in the head. I lost some storage space but the system performs much better and I have a duct into the salon and the v birth. It's also much quieter when running since it's not in contact with the hull.

Oct 1, 2011
Canadian Sailcraft 36T PCYC Toronto
I have an AC installed in my 28. When I got the boat it was installed under the port setee. I was never happy with the performance and it's a pain to service. I have since installed a shelf in the storage locker in the head. I lost some storage space but the system performs much better and I have a duct into the salon and the v birth. It's also much quieter when running since it's not in contact with the hull.
Do you have any pictures? Looking at doing something similar.