Marinco Solar Vent Installation

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I am getting ready to install a Marinco Solar vent in my forward hatch (H240). I planned to use the rubber gaskets and silicone. I have watched videos where they actually glue the mounting ring to the hatch and not worry about removal issues. I am open to all suggestions.
Update. This is the procedure based on advise up to now.
Purchase 4 1/2 inch hole saw
Put masking tape over fiberglass hatch and mark the center.
Open hatch and tape large contractor trash bag or other cover over opening, close hatch.
Slowly drill hole from both sides, heat is the enemy. Mark and drill screw holes for bracket.
Clean surfaces with acetone.
Run bead of silicone or 3M 4200 sealant around edge of hole.
Insert mounting bracket and screw in place, scrape off excess sealant.
Screw fan assembly in place.
Screw retaining ring from bottom.
Leave unit turned "OFF" for a day to charge battery

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My two cents:
  • Remove the hatch
  • Tape both top and bottom
  • Clamp a piece of wood on the back side
  • Drill slowly from both directions to help eliminate chipping on the exit side
This instructional article may be helpful: Install A Solar Vent | BoatUS

Let us know how it turned out and post pics.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Are you drill with hole saw or note and if using hole go slow the heat
will melt some of the plastic hatch but no problem mine came out great nice aind
clean job

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I installed a replacement in my hatch. I had two others over 22 years. I didn't have to cut it, but as others said, either a hole saw or a jig saw with a plastic cutting blade and slow cutting speed. However, the newer models are not designed for hatch installation and lack the option of a spacer. Their customer service advised me that "people don't install them in hatches (notwithstanding all the sailboats on my dock have them). They were not impressed. Anywhow, I picked up a 3/4 inch thick round wood piece at a crafts store, cut a center hole to fit, varnished it, and installed the hatch using the gaskets and screw on base. Worked like a charm and I avoided gluing the damn thing to my hatch.
1204201114c.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Here is my advice and my opinion. Don't do it. Do a little research, note all the failed units. Mine failed in less the 3 months so I took it apart and oiled the motor. It ran fine for another month or so and I had to oil it again. I gave up after that. The 20 year old units work but the new ones fail very quickly, unless something has changed in the last few years.

I hate cutting/drilling holes in my boat especially large ones. Most boats have some form of factory ventilation. A simple cost effective and more importantly one that will last is to place a quality 12v computer fan behind the factory grill. It will move a lot more air too, a lot more.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Here is my advice and my opinion. Don't do it. Do a little research, note all the failed units. Mine failed in less the 3 months so I took it apart and oiled the motor. It ran fine for another month or so and I had to oil it again. I gave up after that. The 20 year old units work but the new ones fail very quickly, unless something has changed in the last few years.

I hate cutting/drilling holes in my boat especially large ones. Most boats have some form of factory ventilation. A simple cost effective and more importantly one that will last is to place a quality 12v computer fan behind the factory grill. It will move a lot more air too, a lot more.
I think the new ones are in fact a big improvement over the last one I had. It seems better engineered and constructed. Of course, I will have to wait fifteen years to see if it holds up as well... It does make a big improvement in the boat. I noticed a big difference when the last one quit.