Marinco 5" solar vent in main salon top hatch?

Fleet

Feb 8, 2021
Catalina 310 108 Lake Guntersville
Purchased the 5" Marinco solar vent. I was planning on putting it on the main salon top hatch but it looks like it will be a tight fit with the hatch lever. Not sure if the lever will clear the fan. Has anyone installed the new style Marinco in this manner?

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
I installed a 5" solar fan from Amazon in the hatch. Great spot for it and it works great. Check your clearances but mine fit.

Fleet

Feb 8, 2021
Catalina 310 108 Lake Guntersville
I didn't take the chance on the 5" and returned it. Bought the 4" Marinco. The 4" fit fine but seems to barely pull any air. Glad you were able to get the 5" to fit

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Can you post a photo? I had one in the little hatch up by the mast, but left the hatch open while sailing one day and ripped the whole lid/vent off during a controlled jibe when the vang caught it and deposited in the Chesapeake bay

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
This wasn't directed at me, but here is a photo that I hope may help.
1204201114c.jpg

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Thanks. The 310 has a similar forward hatch, but after re-reading the post I believe the OP is speaking of the small hatch forward of the cabin table. Mine worked great for a season, until I left it open while sailing.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
I used the attached from Amazon. It has a lower profile below and does not interfere with the latch. That enabled me to center it in the hatch yet still allow room for the latch. It has worked great for a year, has an on off switch and moves a lot of air.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That's a cute little hatch :wink:
Can you still use the screen or is the fan too deep?

Mine is getting old and may need replacing. The solar cell cover is yellow and it makes a little noise. I wonder how much air it actually moves. I'd like one with a battery too.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
The one at Amazon has a battery. It’s a lot better than any marine one I’ve ever owned. The fan is bigger. Check it out and let us know what you find out.