Marinas near mouth of Patomac R. on South side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hey everyone. I'm looking to change marinas and need some advice on good marinas on the south side of the Potomac R. near the mouth.
I draw 4' 10"

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
Bill, my favorite Marina there is Olverson's on Lodge Creek off the Yeocomico. It's really well protected and run by a nice familly. Kiinsale Marina is nice also and has a restaurant to boot. But its not well protected to the Southwest. Only time I ever stayed there my date got seasick in the slip. That's how I found Olverson's. Good luck in you search.

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
Bill,
I can't speak from experience about the south side of the Potomac, but I can recomend Point Lookout Marina on the north bank, Smith Creek off the St.Mary's to be precise. (6 NM from the actual Point Lookout, haulout, shop, and do it yourself or contract yard, resturant on site, wi-fi both from the marina and the resturant, pool, fixed docks that are somewhat rickety on the transient and fuel dock side but in good shape on "G" dock, where the long term sailboats stay. 2 foot tide range, crabs and nettles galore. The Ridge market, run by a Chinese family, is about a mile away. Lexington Park and Pax River NAS with all the associated suburban/semi-metro sprawll are about 10 miles distant. On top of all this, the price is good for a slip by the month or longer, and liveaboards are welcome.) We stayed there this July into August, using the marina as a refuge from the heat and daysailing to Leonardtown, St.Mary's, and Solomon's.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
second vote for Olverson's...won't find a better family run marina...clean showers and restrooms, easy access to the potomac, well protected hurricane hole, affordable fuel, working pumpout, seasonal swimming pool..

come on down..

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
If you go a little further back from the mouth of the Potomac River, you will find some cheaper rates. My slip fees in Colonial Beach are $1300 a year. I am at Monroe Bay Marina. There are plenty of spaces there and the draft is okay (you would be fine).

Port Kinsale Marina is in a nice area and it is a nice marina too. The Coan River and Yeocomico are nice places (about a days sail for me from Colonial Beach if you like shorter days).

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Thanks guys

Thanks for all the good intel. My first guess was the Yeocomico R. would be the best bet. I wanted to get out of the upper/mid Potomic so there was some sailing room but not 4 hours from the boat by car on a friday afternoon either. The Yeocomico is about 2 hours by car. Alas, Steve, I've stayed at the Point look out Marina once, Great place but on the wrong side of the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.