Marina

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
How long would you be prepared to leave your boat in your slip, unused? Or, put another way, if you were to use it, say, three times a year, for 5-6 days each time, what kind of issues (besides the obvious degradation, carpet growth, and the like) could be expected?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If the boat starts in good repair, then I would not expect any significant issues that cleaning products and elbow grease couldn't fix.

What I would be concerned about is keeping the boat secured in the slip and making sure the dock lines remain intact and do fray, chafe, or break. Will the boat continue to be on shore power? If not the batteries might be an issue.

Is the marina a responsible marina that is will regularly check the boat for any problems? That would be very important. While the boat may be in good repair, stuff still happens, did the sail unfurl? A mainsail cover come loose? Scupper hoses get clogged?

If the boat will be in hurricane territory, who will over see securing it against any damage?

Finally, the spiders may not be amenable to your return.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
i would lease/charter and pocket loads of cash. but that's just me
I like the charter idea, but if one is not in a great charter location finding a boat available for charter might be difficult. As example, we spent 5 weeks in Florida (late Jan to end of Feb, 2019). On the east coast at Stuart and on the west coast at Punta Gorda there were no options for private or individual charter of a sailboat. One person at a brokerage office I stopped at with my request had the following comment, "No one is going to charter their sailboat to you for a week of sailing unless you take a boat that is captained." Maybe it was just me he objected to!

Back to Meriachee's question: (1) Perhaps you could charter your boat to others during the times you are not using it. Of course there are a boatload of complications therein. (2) I do know a real estate broker (remaining nameless) who is too busy to use his boat enough to warrant the slip fee. He used Air B&B to "rent" his boat as a place to stay. The boat does not leave the slip. Just a "sleep in a sailboat" stay.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I would give up my slip, and haul the boat. Launching when needed, and getting a transient slip if needed.
+1 for Gunni on hauling. That's what I do. Somewhat less expensive to store on the hard even with haulout fees. If left in the slip I'd still have to have a diver clean the bottom and replace zinc and eventually paint. On the hard I can do all that myself prior to launch and have a nice fast bottom to start the season.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I would already be puckered at 1 month. For over two weeks I'd probably want someone to check on it. Geeze I just left my boat on the hard for 4 months and had a minor disaster - flooded with rain water -and with a cover on it! Boatyard workers have told me that boats like attention. The ones left on their own don't do well on average.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The ones left on their own don't do well on average.
Agree Andrew. Aside from the three plus months of cruising during the year, Belle-Vie gets a check every two weeks during the slower months just to make sure. We cruise year around and have had some of our best times on the water during the winter.

A cruising friend of ours kept their trawler in our local marina. No details yet, but their boat sank while in the slip. Stuff happens and when it does, many times just a regular check will catch issues before they become major.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We won't leave our boat in the water unattended even overnight, but she's our home and everything we own is aboard.
Realistically speaking, a lot of your systems will degrade rather quickly from a lack of use, in the water or out. Better to sell her and rent a boat when you want one.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Realistically speaking, a lot of your systems will degrade rather quickly from a lack of use, in the water or out.
I'm not sure those of us in less tropical climates would agree. Our boats sit unused for 5+ months each year without issue. Admittedly they're winterized beforehand, but still...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Since we live 3 miles from our boat, the Admiral gets worried after 2 weeks unattended.
We live at Hurricane Katrina ground zero.
_____
We just did spring cleaning on the exterior, spring engines maintenance, new zincs, etc.
But...
We need the elbow grease, cleaning products, resorting of tools in the right places etc.

For us, the Marina, is a nice place to meet others in the boating sport!!
Jim...

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
My marina is a family-owned/run business for the last 90 some years. Staff is hard working, conscientious, honest and friendly. I have no qualms about leaving my boat unvisited for the off season.
I wouldn't be there otherwise.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Be sure to tell your marina neighbors that you do not object to their going onboard your boat when you are not there. I tell them if there is a halyard slapping or anything out of the ordinary, come aboard and adjust as necessary. With that kind of invitation they should not feel timid about adjusting a dock line or whatever.

Aug 1, 2011
No chance man. I thoroughly get the concept of wet and unused as it applies to the lower mainland. Besides a stealth factor, the green probably adds a certain slimy lube characteristic to the lines. Eeeew

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What is that @JamesG161 a southern cousin to the Loch Ness Monster? :yikes:

It is difficult to leave my boat for weeks on end. It helps to have friends in the marina on the dock to do an occasional visual check. They have my phone number and we chat. I make the trip (250 miles) at least every 5-7 weeks. Sometimes for a couple of days other times for a week or two. It is uplifting to see the boat is still afloat in her slip.

Do I use her as much as I went golfing? Yes. If I collected cars would the boat use and work be similar, I suspect yes.

Adding up the marina costs over the past year it about equals what my golf club membership ran. I don’t miss golf. I love the boat experience.

Boats are all about maintenance. Use of good materials helps to keep her operational.

Now that I am mostly retired, my wife has announced my travel itinerary for next year. Our travel budget will be greater than a couple of new sails.

I may need to find a retirement job. Is Walmart still hiring greeters?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We won't leave our boat in the water unattended even overnight, but she's our home and everything we own is aboard.
Realistically speaking, a lot of your systems will degrade rather quickly from a lack of use, in the water or out. Better to sell her and rent a boat when you want one.
Same here as we’re on our boat ten months out of twelve. Some folks are opting for tiny cameras to view their boat while away, mine just calls to me when I’m sleeping.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I may need to find a retirement job.
I got a great idea for you!!
Become your Marina's manager!!
and hire out as a boat maintenance consultant.
Then become a Monitor on SBO and use all the real expert's advice.:clap:
In addition, become a near term weather forecaster, like "Rufus" [inside info for PNW boaters].:)

Headhunter in Chief...
Jim...

Aug 1, 2011
Personally I like it, but it doesn't help the original question (which is somewhat loaded, as they say) the individual looking at purchasing said boat lives 800+ miles away. What insight I'd like to garner from this topic is what those of you who are far away from your boat actually have in place to attend to things that can, and unexpectedly do, go off the rails.