marina liability for motor stolen awaiting repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norton

Mar 30, 2004
Allied Seabreeze New Orleans
I moved my boat to safe harbor for Ivan sept 13. When I returned to pick up the boat sept.19 I had a problem with my motor. I made a work order on that sun. to have it repaired at their facility. I had asked if he wanted me to bring the motor in for him or leave it on the boat, to which he replied "it does not matter". They said the work would be done mid week. Fri sept. 24 they told me they had not repaired the motor and it would be done the following week. On mon. the mechanic called saying he could not find the motor on the boat. Would the marina have any liability in this situation?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Where did you leave the boat?

If in their "secure" facility, they're liable...but if you left it elsewhere for them to go get, it's not their problem.

Norton

Mar 30, 2004
boat was in a slip in at the same marina

This marina is a couple of miles from the bay on a narrow bayou which would be difficult to sail back from. The motor was a four stroke and I had layed on its side wrong and oil had seeped out of the resevoir. The motor was less than a year old and needed its first oil change (the drain srews were factory overtightened) so I figured I would have the mechanic change and check if the oil had migrated somewhere that needed attention. I left the boat at the the same slip that it was in for the hurricane, which is the same facility that was going to do the work. I thought that at the time they agreed to work on the motor that it was in their care.

T

Ted

No. . . .

My take is that since the motor was not in the boat yard's possesion, they are not liable for any loss. If the motor had been dropped off with them, then the story would be different. Regards, Ted

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ted's right...

It's no different than if you'd asked your car dealer to pick up your car for service from your office parking lot...and the wheels were stolen off your car before they could get there. It doesn't matter that the dealer (or in this case, the boatyard) also leases space from the same company that owns your office building and parking lot...that you just happen to park there doesn't mean that either your outboard motor or the hypothetical car were in the dealer's possession, so they aren't responsible. If you'd taken the motor to the dealer and it had been stolen while it was in their possession, they would have been...but not while it was still in your own slip, even a temporary slip. Call your insurance co.

Norton

Mar 30, 2004
parked in the dealers lot

The repair shop and the marina are one entity. I was essentially parked in the dealer's lot. I filled out the work order with the same person that took my money for the slip. "I had asked if he wanted me to bring the motor in for him or leave it on the boat, to which he replied "it does not matter". I didnt walk the motor the 20 feet from the slip to his shop because he said it did not matter. The only reason my boat remained in that location was for them to work on my motor. The owner remembers our conversation and claims he would not be liable even if it had been stolen out of his shop.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 30 Navarre Beach, Fl
CCC

care, custody, control? all of the answers given before are right and wrong. did the work order have an "hold harmless agreement" in it? dealers, shop owners, repair shops, even your dry cleaners has a coverage built into thier business owners policy called exactly that; care, custody, and control coverage for customer's goods. IMHO if the shop had assumed custody and control (doesnt matter where the goods are) then they are liable! if your dry cleaner picks up your clothes at your office and delivers them back to you, he is liable for them from the moment they are in his care or custody. I would say you in good faith had turned over your motor to this guy's care. unless you SIGNED a statement otherwise, it's his baby!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Call your insurance company...

It's why you have insurance. They're the ones who should fight it out with the yard's insurance carrier...meanwhile, your loss is covered. That is, if you have insurance...

D

Dan McGuire

Your Responsibility

I may have missed something, but I don't think the shop has any responsibility. I dock one of my boats at the Bull Shoals Boat Dock. They also work on motors. I have on occasion asked them to repair the motor. If I take the motor off the boat and deliver it to them, then it is their resposibility. If I ask them to take the motor off the boat and it is stolen it is my responsibility, because I have not taken sufficient action to prevent theft of the motor. If you told them that you were leaving the motor unlocked so that they could remove the motor and they accept responsibility in writing, you have a case. In addition, the first time they would actually see the motor is when they come to pick it up. For all they can tell, you may never have had a motor. As for the marina, they say up front that they are not responsible for theft or damage to the boat.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 350 Kemah, TX
I'll probably upset some folks but...

...you and your boat survived Ivan and you are upset about who pays for a stolen motor?? I'm sure the folks in Haiti & Florida who are homeless or burying their dead wish they had your problem...This should serve as a lesson to those who leave work orders to actually discuss the liability issue with the shop. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm tired of this being a nation of whiners.

Norton

Mar 30, 2004
Harsh , petulant and irrational

Poor Aggie you do sound tired honey. When you pimped the grief of the folks in Haiti & Florida who are homeless or burying their dead to slam me it really taught me a lesson. Thanks. For some reason "which 35 ft. sailboat to buy" or "should I upgrade my racing sails" or the myriad of other frivolous (compared to Haiti and Florida after Ivan) subjects discussed in this forum do not illicit this kind of invocation. My question in particular reminded you that you consider the United States a nation of whiners and you had to lash out because your tired of it. I as a party of one I do not share your opinion, I agree to disagree, but I am sorry I forced all your anger to the surface. I also wonder if you yourself may have been whining about the whining. Say that three times fast. This may have contributed to your "nation of whiners" notion. I would like to take a moment to apologize to anyone who thought my question or follow up responses were inappropriate. I would also like to thank those of you that took the time to respond cordially. FYI Peggy my insurance has a $1000 deductable. As you may know small claims can add up to rate increases or cancellation. I might get $3-400 max and this does not seem like a significant enough claim to me. I would rather use my insurance when I have bigger fish to fry.

Feb 6, 2004
CAL 25 Salem OH
Lighten up.

Aggie, I have to agree with you. This has become a nation of whiners. Nobody is satisfied with any results, and it is always someone elses fault. But, having said this, that is no reason to come down on Rob. Would you have posted the same if he were on the West Coast or from the Great Lakes? We got a lot of flood damage in Ohio from Ivan, but I don't hold that against Rob's good fortune of little damage. My parents live in Port Charlotte, FL. Dad's 19' Com-Pac rode Charlie on the trailer in his driveway, and all they lost were a few shingles and branches. Not 2 miles to the east, total devistation. Just never know who's going to get it. Now to the question at hand. Unfortunatly Rob you are more than likely out of luck. I know most repair shops have a "not responsible" sign or clause somewhere. The motor could have been stolen right out of their building and the results would be the same. Thus the response "It does not matter". Next time you are in a auto repair shop or marina, look around, I bet you will see "Not responsible for items left in vehicle" or something along that line. Best of luck resolving your situation. You never know, since it had a problem, it may turn up somewhere. Bryon Thomas "Shore Leave"

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 430 Shelter bay, Panama
bailment

generally speaking, what has been discussed here is the law of bailments. a bailment is created when one person holds the property of another for the benefit of either one of them or a 3rd party. at common law, which is what our system of laws is based on, the person who benefited from the bailment was the responsible party. most states have created or adopted statutes that address a mechanic or baylor's responsibility. notices in shops disclaiming responsibility are only effective if there is a statute authorizing such a waiver by notice. unless a statute abrogates your right, parties are free to contract on any matter that isn't illegal and who is responsible is one of those matters. in that you pay the same entity I would look first at the lease for your slip, does it assign responsibility, second look at any contract you have had in the past with the yard for work, does that contract assign responsibility, and then dont just rely on the contract go look up the statute, merchants put terms in their contracts all the time that are not enforceable as they cause a certain percentage of the population to disband other wise legitimate claims. and finally look it up or ask a local attorney about your claim, many states have automatic attorney fees provisions in suits agianst mechanics and such if the claim is under a few thousand dollars. if your claim fits an attorney can handle your claim for much less out of pocket as the other side will likely have to pay your attorney fees if you prevail. this helps many cases, where there is a clear answer under the law actually settle. as for the shop saying they wouldn't be responsible even if the motor was in their shop this is quite unlikely and you should consider viewing what they tell you with a healty level of distrust. if the yard is required to be insured or bonded you are very likely entitled to the name and account numbers so you can file a claim. you can then notify the insurer or bond company directly and see what their response is. if the yard refuses to provide you this information check with the city, county or secretary of states office, where ever they are required to be licensed and the information will likely be public record, and they can probably tell you if the yard was required to disclose this info to you upon request and if they were and they refused you can file a report at the same time. sorry such a lenghty response

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Before You Piss Each Other Off

Do you want to keep your boat at that marina or continue to use his repair facility? Will he be concerned with keeping you as a customer? You may be able to work out a 50/50 sort of deal just to keep bad feelings at bay between y'all. If you do move, I kept my boat at Long Beach when we lived in Biloxi and really enjoyed it there.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Let the insurance companies figure it out.

Not to shove it off, but they have the know-how in situations like this. They are the arbitators in the end. Plus they have the negotiation power with the yard's insurance company.

May 18, 2004
Monty's right, Dan Mc is wrong!

dont have alot of time to discuss but, Monty is clearly right! put his post and mine together and you have your answer! Dan Mc, how many times have you seen the SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK SIGN? you think for a minute that that actually relieves the owner of respondibility for a child drowning? a good lawyer would have a field day with that logic!

Norton

Mar 30, 2004
Thanks

Monty, thanks for the thorough reply, not too lengthy at all. I will check the statutes in MS and see what my options are. Rick, you may have a point, this marina is not my home port, but is a nice safe haven as I have to move from home during hurricanes. I have few options as close as this. Rick and Dan I hope you didn't get slammed to bad by the hurricanes this year.

May 18, 2004
busted our ass!

lost both our house and our boat! the good news is the house was a rental, we sold our house 3 weeks before Ivan and as far as the boat, even though I loved her dearly, she was fully insured and I'm looking for another one as we speak. all my friends and family are OK and that's the main thing! everything else can be replaced! yes, I am a pirate! 200 yrs too late, the cannons don't thunder, thar's nothing to plunder, I'm an over 40 victem of fate! ;)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Sorry to Hear That Dan

WE made out really well. There was a bunch of stuff in the pool it took eight trash cans to get it al out but all the shingles were still there and the boat rode it out fine at the house. Dan if you need a sailing fix let me know and we'll get you out there.

May 18, 2004
thanks Rick!

just might take you up on that! right now Im just working on getting a roof over my head and out of maw n law's house. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.