Marina Del Rey to Paradise Cove

Mar 6, 2020
Hunter 306 Shoreline Marina
Well l just got furloughed! Since I will have plenty of time on my hands I am planing to self isolate on a sail from Long beach to Santa Barbara and back over the next week. My main concern is the distance between Marina Del Rey and Ventura. I have been reading about an anchorage at Paradise Cove. Curious if anyone has ever spent the night on anchor there and has any tips?

One cruising guide I read recommended setting 2 anchors to stay headed into the swell? I have done several solo day sails but never spent the night on anchor before or even attempted to anchor by myself for that matter.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi Capt’n Kook! If you swing by MdR going to Santa Barbara Harbor, then you can avoid Paradise Cove. It’s only 50 n.mi. from MdR to Ventura Harbor, 15 to16 of it between MdR and Paradise Cove. Yes, I anchored overnight there a couple of times. The swells you mention are typically southerly origin when present. There is usually a lot of kelp which can interfere with anchoring. It’s also a bit deep. The quandary is that the shallower water wished for anchoring, closer to shore, experiences somewhat larger swells. But, when it’s quiet in there, little to no swell action, it’s quite nice. However, not the place to be learning bow/stern anchoring, solo, this time of year. So, I suggest you depart MdR early, near daybreak; and run the 50 n.mi. straight to Ventura. If it gets snotty too early in the afternoon you can detour into Channel Islands Harbor which is 6 n.mi. closer.

Personally, I rather hole up in Ventura Harbor for a while rather than going straight to Santa Barbara, which is another 25 n.mi. beyond Ventura. Costs are high there in SB. It’s FC/FS at the transient docks, of which there are not many spaces. Lots of folks shelter there this time of year. If you’re thinking of occupying the free anchorage outside the breakwater, better check up on it. It can be very uncomfortable, people say. You should have oversized ground tackle for that job! Also, it’s not clear these harbors are even open to transients at this time. Better check on that too. For example, Shoreline Marina itself is closed to transients.

Consider going to Cat Harbor, an all weather anchorage; much closer. Be well supplied b/c Two Harbors is pretty much shut down itself. ☹

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Actually, if the weather is good (settled) and the harbors are all closed, etc., I’d likely run to Santa Barbara Island (Landing Cove); 46 n.mi. WSW the LA gate and anchor 3 or 4 nights. Visit Cat Harbor the 4th or 5th night, depending, if the weather gets uncomfortable at SBI, then home. Alternatively, there is some viable anchoring at Isthmus Cove in 20-40 ft; also near Emerald Bay and at Buttonshell Cove.:dancing:

Mar 6, 2020
Hunter 306 Shoreline Marina
Appreciate the advice! Assuming the harbors are offering guests slips I think I will look for a mate to join me seems a little out of my experience level solo. If I can't find anyone I will just plan on sailing Long Beach > Redondo > Marina Del Rey and back.

That web cam for Cat Harbor looks great! Can't believe I have never been there, that is definitely on my list.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Suggest you don’t assume harbors are offering guest slips. Our harbormaster in CT has closed the port. Getting an email from an official or dockmaster before you leave saying that your boat would be welcome might be a good idea.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The CI National Park is evidently open for boaters to go ashore.

Santa Barbara Island Dock Closed; Landings Restricted to Adjacent Rocky Ledge

Santa Barbara Island is open to public access. Landings at the island are restricted to the rocky ledge adjacent to the dock. In order to ensure a safe landing, boaters need to carefully assess the weather conditions, particularly the tide and swell heights, prior to landing in this area.

The dock remains closed and is not expected to be repaired in the near future due to the severe nature of damage that occurred with successive storms the past two winters.

The island trail system has been stabilized following severe damage from winter storms.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Appreciate the advice! Assuming the harbors are offering guests slips I think I will look for a mate to join me seems a little out of my experience level solo. If I can't find anyone I will just plan on sailing Long Beach > Redondo > Marina Del Rey and back.

That web cam for Cat Harbor looks great! Can't believe I have never been there, that is definitely on my list.
Please note that the beaches at Two Harbors are all closed and they otherwise do not want you to come ashore.