Marathon to St. Petersburg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
My H44 draws 5' with 61' mast above the water. How about some experienced local knowledge to go from Marathon to St. Petersburg. Don't want to make it in one shot - rather, take time to experience the 1st time trip. Looking for good otptions for anchoring, mooring, fuel, sight seeing as well as transient slips. I know there are good anchorages in Marco and Naples. Anything before Marco good for my draft. Sharke River?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Shark river will be fine for 5 feet. Indian Key and Roberts (Richards?) Bay off the Barron River are good anchorages. Tough cross current at Everglades city, but nice place to be. Marco river bridge is short for you. You must go outside around Cape Romano Shoals to Marco/Naples. Also new bridge at Sanibel is 65+, so Ft Myers Beach is accessable. Punta Gorda of course via BG inlet, Venice Inlet. I'm not current on any of the Sarasota inlets.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I made the trip there and back in October with my 5'4" draft. The Little Shark is your first stop. Next either Marco or Napels, Marco has good anchorages with protection. You might want to stop and anchor at Useppa and dingy in to Cabbage Key for a Burger in Paradise. Charlotte Harbor is a great sail if you want to stop there. I have not gone up from Charlotte Harbor yet but plan to anchor at Englewood later this month.

Enjoy the trip.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Just time your arrival for high tide and get out your cruising guide. If you want to live it up in style for a reasonable transient rate get a night or two at the South Seas Resort. Redfish Pass can accomodate 6/7 feet draft at high tide.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
If you put in at Little Shark River, I'd suggest anchoring in the wide area at the mouth of the river, where the channel takes a 90 degree turn. Good holding there and good protection. We anchored further upstream once, but the bottom was rocky and the anchor dragged. If you want to visit Everglades City, I'd anchor near Indian Key and dinghy into town. We draw 4' 4" and barely made it over the shoal at the mouth of the Baron River, and it was tough finding a place to tie up. That was 6 years ago, though, so things may have changed. In any case, lunch or dinner at the Rod and Gun Club would be worth the ride. We found fresh seafood for sale a short walk from the Club.
Naples City Dock had moorings available for $10 a night in 2010, with a very nice restaurant in the marina.
If you enter the ICW at Ft. Meyers, a nice place to anchor is just south of the tip of Pine Island, off St. James City. We liked to dinghy into the main canal and tie up at the little restaurant on the right, just as you enter the canal. You can eat on the deck and enjoy the Florida scenery. If you are nature lovers like we are, you can anchor just across the ICW by Ding Darling Bird Sanctuary, on Sanibel Island. We spent three days there, exploring the mangroves. Saw lots of birds, alligators and manatees.
If you stay in the ICW north of Charlotte harbor, there several anchorages available. One is just north of the Boca Grande Causeway swing bridge, another is at the wide part of the ICW at Don Pedro State Park (do not enter the small channel into the park), and a good spot is just inside Stump Pass, to the south of the channel. The Engelwood area has transient slips available at Palm Island Marina and Royal Palm Marina. The shuttle ride from Palm Island Marina to the restaurant on Palm Island is a good side trip. The next major inlet north is about 15 miles at Venice. The Crow's Nest Marina at the Venice Inlet also has a very good restaurant. From there it is a day's sail to Tampa Bay, or you could continue up the ICW. Have a good trip!

Sep 15, 2006
Hunter 44 Shore Point Marina, Pine Beach NJ
Pat, we are in Panama City, Fl. we went from Marathon to Little Shark river anchored in the wide area, from there to Everglades City, anchored in north channel, did not attemp going to city, then on to Naples City Marina for fuel and weather, then to Fort Myers and up GICWW to Clearwater, There are several anchores along the way. Will be heading back end of February or early March. We also use
www.activecaptain.com
, for anchorages and fuel listings.

Status
Not open for further replies.