Manual, waste tank pump-out

wgshaw

Sep 11, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Antrigonish, N.S.
Dear Sir or Madame,

I have a 1987 Hunter 28.5 sailboat with a waste holding tank and a manual pump-out system that has a diaphragm hand pump. Attached are two photos of the diaphragm hand pump. The black coloured diaphragm is 5 inches in diameter and has a hole in it. Can I replace the black coloured diaphragm or the entire hand pump?
Thanks. Billy

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You only need to replace the diaphragm, but not with just any black diaphragm that looks right... it needs to be one for the same model from the pump mfr to be sure it's exactly the right size and any other details that matter.

--Peggie

wgshaw

Sep 11, 2016
Hello Peggie,

Thank you for your response to my inquiry. The hand pump is a Rule model. I bought this boat last Spring, so I am not sure whether it is the original pump with the 1987 Hunter 28.5 or not. I have been looking for a part and will continue. Billy

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Have had my share of those pumps, after a while the plastic handle tends to snap off. I would say replace the whole thing and do the job just once hopefully for the time you keep the boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
is there a use for manual pumpouts anymore? Where does it go? Overboard dumping is no longer allowed, so I removed all the manual hoses, etc. and sealed the thruhull. Now just have a pumpout.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
is there a use for manual pumpouts anymore? Where does it go? Overboard dumping is no longer allowed, so I removed all the manual hoses, etc. and sealed the thruhull. Now just have a pumpout.
In Canada, there are few pump out places and overboard is legal.

Ken

wgshaw

Sep 11, 2016
Hello Peggie,

Thank you for your response to my inquiry. The hand pump is a Rule model. I bought this boat last Spring, so I am not sure whether it is the original pump with the 1987 Hunter 28.5 or not. I have been looking for a part and will continue. Billy
Helllo Peggie,

Do you know where I can buy a replacement diaphragm for this hand pump? Billy

wgshaw

Sep 11, 2016

Hello,

You can pump-out in the Atlantic Ocean. Billy

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
West marine. Com sells just the diaphragm. it's not in the store just online