Manson Supreme 45 for Hunter 38

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
Hey all, so I'm out of town and I found a Manson Supreme 45 on craigslist for $300. Shouldn't be a problem fitting on the bow roller of the Hunter 38 do you think ? Obviously I'm not anywhere near the boat but looking at the bast photo's I can find I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit.

The reviews I've read are pretty positive. Any experience ? Gotta be better than the little Delta it came with

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I can't say whether or not the Manson Supreme will fit on your bow roller, but would suggest you take a look at the Youtube videos of anchor testing done by the owner of SV Panope a few years back before buying a replacement anchor. Manson Supreme was one of the many anchors he tested.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Good price and its lists for $451 plus sales tax and shipping!! Should fit fine. I had a 35 pound Manson Supreme anchor on my 2004 Hunter 386 and the 45 pound is only slightly larger (see dimensions in the attached file). I like its long straight shank with separate attachment points for the rode swivel and a tie-off rope from the shank to the cleat in the anchor locker. It offered excellent holding power in the SF Bay mud.

Attachments

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
Bob, thank you for the tip. I had read that they had some clogging issues in grass. Can I ask what you are using ?

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Yes, I think Panope's tests showed some problems with resetting consistently due to buildup on the fluke. I went with a 55 lb. Mantus and an all-chain rode on my 410. I spent more than one windy night in the Bahamas last winter watching boats all around dragging while my Mantus held tight, and would buy one again in a heartbeat. They occasionally go on sale and you can get a good deal then if interested.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I used a 35-pound Manson on my 34' catamaran around the Chesapeake (where you are) for years with zero problems. It also sounds like the right size for the boat and the area. And yes, it is much better than Delta in this area (it replaced a Delta).

I've done a lot of anchor testing for mags, most of it in the Chesapeake area. You can debate "which anchor" forever; there is so much scatter in the data that differences are seldom statistically significant. The big differences between modern anchors related to yawing and the bottom, not the anchor choice.

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/assets/pdf/anchor-test.pdf

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The OP is in Baltimore MD. Weeds are a minor problem here, and you really should not anchor in them anyway, as it is an ecological problem locally. Super soft mud, shells, and burried sticks are the primary problems.

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
Well, consensus seams to be that no anchor is perfect and that if the Manson has a weak spot its in weeds. And that the Manson will be a big upgrade over what I have now. I think if I can get it for half the price of a new one I'd be doing pretty well. I'll just have to watch the weedy bottoms.
Having just bought the boat there are plenty of things to spend money on. I'm trying to focus on the priorities and a good lights sleep is one of them.

Tell me about these anchor alarms. Maybe I'll just get one of those and keep my crappy little anchor. :)

I do appreciate all the input.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I did replace the 22 pound Delta that came with my 38. I went with a 35 pound Delta and increased to 30 feet of chain. Has worked very well for the anchoring I do.
I had intended to keep the 22 pounder with the idea that I could keep it in the bow roller and use it as a secondary. i discovered that with 35 in place there wasn’t room for the 22. So I sold it.

If you look at the performance chart for Delta the 22 is very much marginal for a boat like ours. The boat is at the high end of what the anchor is rated for. Given the windage the 38 has I didn’t think pushing it was a good idea.

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
Exactly what I was thinking. Having anchored in the Caribbean the wind can really pick up at night sometimes and that's where I'm headed. I'm going to go with the Manson 45. Seller will take $250, I don't think I can go wrong. I doubt very much that I'll hate it.

I made an offer on a Highfield Ultralight rib today. We'll see how that goes.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Now you will need a dinghy motor, dinghy davits and...................Oh the enjoyment of upgrading and outfitting a new sailboat.

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
I know. I thought about all this prior to the purchase and added it all up. None the less its one thing to add it up and think about it, its quite another to start writing checks. But you know, I have a great wife (pictured) who likes to say " that's what money is for, to do the things you like".

We purchased "Back Class". She is in Rock Hall and was on Yacht world for some time. We made one of those offers we were pretty sure would not be accepted.... but it was. We needed to get it for a good price so we could add/fix everything and.....that's what we're doing.

Many more questions to come