Manatee in NC?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
WOW. Bit north of normal Better get some cold blood. Perhaps found his way up the ICW?

We saw a mating pair and baby on our trip last summer in Belize. They had tagged the papa.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There was one who made it up to Long Island and maybe North of that. I believe it was tagged and has been followed. I can speculate why they go on cruises. Maybe they are forced out of existing territory. Or maybe they follow food. And then maybe it is just the nature of beasts to explore and extend their territory. I like door number three.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There was one who made it up to Long Island and maybe North of that. I believe it was tagged and has been followed. I can speculate why they go on cruises. Maybe they are forced out of existing territory. Or maybe they follow food. And then maybe it is just the nature of beasts to explore and extend their territory. I like door number three.
Ilya, The Jersey Manatee, cruised up coast a couple years if I'm remembering right.
Ilya, the famous manatee that swam all the way from Florida to New Jersey, has died

Oct 22, 2014
Being a vegetarian forager that journey is like the cow who jumped the fence to get to the greener grass on the other side.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The ones who stay in the Florida fresh water rivers don't have barnacles. He looks like he's been away from the motherland for a while.

then maybe it is just the nature of beasts to explore and extend their territory. I like door number three.
:plus:

If they survive and multiply, does that make them an invasive, alien species that should be taken back to there original territory? Maybe he's a criminal sea cow on the run. What are the extradition laws in NC to Fl?
Do we have an obligation to interfere or should we consider this the sole business of the Manatee And Dugong Council (known as M.A.D. Cou.)?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
Ok Will
If two Manatee sea cows having left Florida head out and swim off over a sea cliff into the deep ...
Would they be
Thelma and Louise Want-a-bees?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ok Will
If two Manatee sea cows having left Florida head out and swim off over a sea cliff into the deep ...
Would they be
Thelma and Louise Want-a-bees?
Is that what the manatee and the manta ray saw at the matinee? I think they'd need to do it in a cabriolet.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I faintly remember that they would eat invasive plants like water hyacinth, good supply in South Carolina.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Have never seen one here in NC, let alone New Bern, any time of the year, this guy was seen perusing our docks yday, assume seeking warmer waters...hope he makes it back to FL safely!
Precedented or not, that must have been a real treat to see! Some researcher somewhere would probably love to know about that, especially with such a good photo. Congrats!!

Manatees were removed from the endangered list earlier this year, finally. I have long suspected their numbers to be greater than what has been published, based on what my eyes tell me. They're like fleas on a dog around here these days. It would make sense if sightings further north became less rare in the future.

But they're always a treat to see. Kinda like dolphins, you never get tired of them. This guy actually chased us down recently (a very slow-motion chase, kind like OJ Simpson's) to interact with us:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
GREAT video Gene! I do recall diving with them in Crystal River but that was 30 yrs ago! Wonderful docile animals...you're lucky to be in their surroundings!!

(One of our guys here did advise state fisheries or whatever department, they advised to leave him be but to call back if he hangs around, then they may take some kind of action....)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Precedented or not, that must have been a real treat to see! Some researcher somewhere would probably love to know about that, especially with such a good photo. Congrats!!

Manatees were removed from the endangered list earlier this year, finally. I have long suspected their numbers to be greater than what has been published, based on what my eyes tell me. They're like fleas on a dog around here these days. It would make sense if sightings further north became less rare in the future.

But they're always a treat to see. Kinda like dolphins, you never get tired of them. This guy actually chased us down recently (a very slow-motion chase, kind like OJ Simpson's) to interact with us:

[USER=122322]@Gene Neill

That was the coolest boat video I’ve seen on SBO

EVER!

Last edited: