Manasquan NJ to Block Island

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
Hello all,
Planning a trip from Manasquan to Block island on a three day hop. I am unfamiliar with the inlets where I plan on entering to stop and anchor for the night. Looking for any insight you might be able to give me. My first stop would be through fire island inlet anchoring up a mile in or so out side of the channel. Second would be Shinnecock. Then on to block island. I don't see on my charts anything saying I can't anchor in the bays so I assume I can. Any input as to where and what to see on Block island would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Goobs

May 8, 2020
Catalina 30 30 TR Bridgeport
Just be aware there is lots of boat traffic and wakes. And find a safe and secure spot its the land of knucklehead speed boaters

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Anchoring in Fire Island inlet, I have anchored for the night in the cove off Oak Beach, but you have to watch the depth & tides carefully. I drew 5' at the time and was partially touching the bottom when I left. There is also a NYState run marina east of Fire Island inlet where you could tie up, if it's open and has the depth for your boat.
At Shinnecock there is plenty of space to Anchor close to the inlet. Be aware that the fishing boats leave early in the mourning, from the west side of the inlet. You can also dock at Oakland's, which also has a restaurant, if it's open.
At Block at this time of year you should be able to pick up a Town mooring ball, or there should be plenty of space to anchor. You might want to check if anything is open yet as it's early May.

Goobs

May 8, 2020
Catalina 30 30 TR Bridgeport
It's a 150 mile trip. 24 hours. Do it all in one? Id much rather have two more days on Block Island then
gunkholing the South Shore inlets . You will add 10 miles each inlet just going in and out.

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
thanks for the input I thought about sailing strait through however I do not have crew for a night watch and don't want to stay up all night. not planning on heading out till mid late June but want to go before the kids get out of school so Stuill working on the plans

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
thanks for the input I thought about sailing strait through however I do not have crew for a night watch and don't want to stay up all night. not planning on heading out till mid late June but want to go before the kids get out of school so Stuill working on the plans
I am curious about your trip and have you made it? Was this a one-way delivery or a round trip? I got to thinking about a trip that could involve Great South Bay. Is it a worthwhile diversion to enter at Fire Island Inlet and travel thru to Moriches? Is the inlet at Moriches too sketchy and better to exit at Shinnecock? I thought about entering near evening, anchoring near Fire Island Inlet, then spending next night near Barrett Beach or Davis Park, then anchoring a third night at the east end before exiting. It doesn't seem very friendly for anchoring & curious if there is a reason to sail thru that area midweek. It seems obvious to avoid weekends. Any thoughts?

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
unfortunately I did not get to make the trip new sails were delayed in delivery. I had some minor repair issues and also unfortunately got called back to work sooner than expected. I no longer have the freedom and time off to make this trip. it was to be for pleasure not a boat delivery. I did manage to take a long weekend to Atlantic city and had a great trip sailing down the coast. working on a trip to coney Island on another long weekend. not familiar with any of the inlets you mentioned. I'm based out of barnaget Bay NJ.