Managing the Mal de Mer?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A topic that comes up periodically, but I’m curious on how skippers “manage” crew or guests aboard who are susceptible to seasickness. For example, a crew or passenger who “refuses” to go below and lie down when experiencing the onset of nausea. Instead, remaining up top eventually heaving over the side and then laying out in the cockpit, which impedes the working of the boat. It’s not a matter of over-the-side versus into the head. I keep a couple of emesis bags aboard that I can hand off to crew or passenger who needs one while below, or even on top. Also, I have a couple of those paper paint buckets aboard which be used and then discarded. I’ve actually used one myself. Remaining (useless) on deck trying to fight it off before ultimately losing the fight seems pointless. (The only natural thing there that works is strong distraction such as helming.) Or, trying to scramble up the companionway and then to the gunwale before letting go is risky on a lively boat. Stay below out of the way and puke into a bag or bucket. :what:

But in terms of medication, I wanted to mention Zofran—the miracle cure for nausea. A very strong antiemetic. Prescription required, unfortunately; expensive in my opinion. But a small tab that dissolves on the tongue gives relief inside of 30 min. A chance to win the fight!

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
well, you asked: i demand that they ..........
let me know, i can help
do not go below, ever
do not lie down, ever, if at all possible
do not talk about it, after they have informed me
do not let the crew talk about it
do not heave over the side
use a bucket, or
heave on the floor of the cockpit, the crew can rinse it up
do not feel embarrassed
stand, in the cockpit, knees bent like skiing a big mogel field
face the wind, standing or sitting. i prefer they are in the cockpit but sitting on the cabin top to windward is doable if athletic.
have the afflicted stand at the helm and hand drive
do not have the vessel on autopilot
do not duck out of the wind
look at the horizon
try and relax
have the other crew be cheerful and supportive
yepper ............. i demand these things

note: most will adapt after 2/3 days at sea

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I took some you people from work out for a sail last year...I noticed that one of the sweet, very proper young ladies stopped drinking about 5 miles out on our sail. It wasn’t too rough (to me at least). Then she looked pretty green, and I pointed over the rail. She asked if she could go below to the head...i said “sure, but I think it will make things worse...”. She disappeared for a little bit, then emerged from the companionway, wiping her lips a bit, but looking better.
I said, “the good news is, we have turned around...the bad news is we still need to sail back 5 miles.“

She went below one more time on the sail home, but she smiled as she got off the boat and said she wanted to try it again.

I usually worn people that if they have a tendency to get sick, to take some dramamine a few hours before we sail.

Greg

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I'd tell the Scouts to take seasickness meds with dinner the night before and again with breakfast the day of sailing.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good tip on the Zofran.. I have not tried it for seasickness.. Have used the Scopolamine patches more or less successfully.. seems like the first day takes a toll on folks.. I am lucky that my wife and I are not very susceptible but certainly have been there. I try to keep 'em in the cockpit and facing into the wind.. I try to get them to helm.. over the side or cockpit scupper heaving or bucket or bag.. not fun for anyone aboard..

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Growing up around boats, I was never sea sick. One of the few people I knew who had never succumb to this mallidy. Since moving to the mountains, having a many as six concussions and a few years away from the water, I now start to feel that building queeziness as soon as the lines are tossed. It took me three days to stop feeling it, on our sail to Burmuda, which meant we landed just after I got over it. Another three days on the way to the Azores and again, three days to Ireland. Three days and I'm good.

I, of course, don't like being sea sick, but it isn't debilitating and I've found it is worse to hold back and suffer when a quick purge into a bucket, over the side or on the deck gives me about an hour of freedom from this pain.

The wisdom I was always taught was to stay above, even though I'd like to go lay down, watch the horizon, don't let your senses start telling different stories. Fresh cool air is best and bad smells can trigger it. I don't know if any of that makes a difference. It never seemed to for me.

I stand watch, eye the horizon and feel the slow rise of this unpleasant need until I judge the time is upon me. I then turn to grab the stern rail and let it all go before returning to the helm and fixing my course. I actually feel kind of refreshed for the next few minutes.

For guests, we strongly advised dramamine or meclizine before departing. My wife finds the latter more effective and less drowsy. Ginger is a common natural remedy and gingerale is enjoyed by most people.

For open ocean voyaging, I wouldn't worry about someone being in the way in the cockpit and for bay sailing, where the unforseen can happen more suddenly, sea sickness isn't usually an issue. Always, the captain needs to feel everyone and his vessel is safe. If keeping the cockpit clear seems necessary, by all means, keep it clear. Sea sickness is best eased when the victim understands it is common, only temporary and just leaves you a little empty and in need of fluids. So stay hydrated.

-Will (Dragonfly)

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Wife likes Bonine. Our dog's vet has advised that it can be given to dogs as well. Certain points of sail upset the wife's stomach. Changing direction somewhat seems to provide instant relief. She tries to take Bonine before we set out. Unlike Dramamine, Bonine does not cause drowsiness. No prescription needed. Readily available.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I too recommend meclizine (Bonine) over Dramamine. It is effective even after you are ill. But don't pay Bonine prices. Ask your pharmacist to sell you a 100-tablet bottle for about $8.00. It is over-the-counter. They may have to order it, so plan ahead.

• Helpful

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
+1 to John Hansen!

I keep ginger and saltines aboard, and they may help some psychologically at least. I also suggest they take Bonine a half hour or 45 minutes before we go out. Never Never let them go below, and if possible, let them take the helm, and keep an eye on the horizon.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the 'side effects' of the drugs mentioned are scary to me.
ginger tests more effective anyway.
listen to charlie

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I highly recommend Stugeron although you can't get it in the US for reasons I can't fathom. It's available in Europe and Canada, I don't know beyond that, likely everywhere else in the world but I don't know. Active ingredient is Cinnarizine. Non-drowsy, 1 pill lasts about 8 hours and you can just take another one at 8 hours if you feel it's needed.

dj

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I agree with the @jon hansen 's list. For some reason, people have always had a tendency to make fun of folks that get seasick, some type of machismo or superiority thing. I always remind them it is neurological and highly variable - it may be you next time. The one example of a person 'fighting it down' was acting as race committee with a martial arts practitioner on her first sail, and we were anchored in a four-foot cross-sea. She was positively green before she asked to be excused, and sat in some pose on the side deck. I would have bet my paycheck she would hurl, but she just meditated through it - tough woman. I don't have eight years to prepare for that moment, so I'll go buy some ginger.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I highly recommend Stugeron although you can't get it in the US for reasons I can't fathom. It's available in Europe and Canada, I don't know beyond that, likely everywhere else in the world but I don't know. Active ingredient is Cinnarizine. Non-drowsy, 1 pill lasts about 8 hours and you can just take another one at 8 hours if you feel it's needed.

dj
We have not found it in Canada. I’ve heard it’s available in Mexico but we get ours from U.K. It’s the “go to” drug for the Royal Navy.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
We have not found it in Canada. I’ve heard it’s available in Mexico but we get ours from U.K. It’s the “go to” drug for the Royal Navy.
Hmm, well Canada is where I bought my last box 2 years ago (or was that 3 years ago?). Maybe it's hard to find there?

dj

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Hmm, well Canada is where I bought my last box 2 years ago (or was that 3 years ago?). Maybe it's hard to find there?
Not seen it here on the West Coast yet but will keep my eyes open. Could save a trip to UK