Man the Boats...

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is time for that last cruise. The weather patterns are aligning for a chance as an Indian Summer Cruise.

This just in from Rufus. Next week is shaping up as a possibility for Indian Summer weather. A last hurrah before winter arrives. So shake off those rainy blues and down to the marina. Fuel the tanks and provision the food. Pleasant Sunny days and brilliant fall color are possible for the Salish Sea.

Friday October 13​
Good morn’n, Patron. Before checking the long-range outlook —​
Lots of ‘asks’ about whether or not we will be able to view the Annular Solar Eclipse tomorrow morning in Oregon. As we have indicated for over a week now, Oregon will be in between two damp systems. --> We’ll forecast that there could be breaks in the clouds during the Annularity over Oregon, allowing for a chance to get a direct view of the Ring of Fire. A chance, not a guarantee! The sky is likely to be mostly clear of a ‘sun blocking’ cloud deck - at least inland, away from the coast. High, thin clouds could ‘filter’ the direct view. We do not see rain or showers coming into play during the Eclipse. Southern Willamette Valley viewing sites: check various maps for details as to the precise timing for the peek event around Eugene / Roseburg.​
Grab your ☕Mug. Increasing clouds today, with rain/showers arriving over OR by this afternoon. Damp this evening for much of the west side from southern OR to Vancouver Island. Saturday will turn wet again later in the day/evening; breezy. Attributes of this system will be similar to Friday’s, but damp nonetheless and rather breezy over Vancouver Island. Sunday looks to start out rather pleasant, as the next, stronger storm, is trending to arrive overnight Sunday into Monday.​
Next week: WET and blustery on Monday. Rain moderate as the cold front passes. Intense showers Monday afternoon into the evening. Overall, Tue is looking fairly nice, with sunshine and cool temps. The ’tail’ of a storm heading north of Vancouver Island will dampen the island on Wed; however, for the rest of the PNW, expect dry and MILD conditions. Temps could reach 70 in places around the Willamette Valley Wed & Thu. The Big High gets into position.
A large area of High pressure - a Dome - will develop west of the Rockies next week. This will block Pacific storms and usher in a relatively mild dry spell for nearly a full week. As noted above, temps will pop up into the 60s and lower 70s by Wed Oct 18. Indeed, other than an outside chance for showers over Vancouver Is. next Fri Oct 20, the PNW looks DRY until a wet, windy storm arrives on Tue the 24th. Fog, at times, may arrive, but it should burn off in the respective areas for pleasant, sunny afternoons. Enjoy the colors of Fall.
Indications are for a stormy, wet and MUCH COOLER weather pattern arriving around the 24th and taking us through the balance of October. First Frost before Halloween? Ponder that.
-Rufus​

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Wishing yall the best!
We'll have a partial eclipse here in Louisiana and the weather is forecast to be excellent.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
@Terry Cox With your WALLAS heater a little frost is nothing... After all it is just "Frost on the Pumpkin"!

@kappykaplan I am working on it. Heading up to the boat to resolve the issues (with a little luck) and be ready to test the boat next week. A little cruise sounds awfully good.

@kloudie1 May the sun shine bright through clear skies. Here we are blessed with high clouds and rain showers. We wil have to watch the festivities on the internet or television. It will be almost like being there.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thanksgiving November 23-26 the earliest and best chance at having a winter cruise. No time off before then.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It is time for that last cruise. The weather patterns are aligning for a chance as an Indian Summer Cruise.

This just in from Rufus. Next week is shaping up as a possibility for Indian Summer weather. A last hurrah before winter arrives. So shake off those rainy blues and down to the marina. Fuel the tanks and provision the food. Pleasant Sunny days and brilliant fall color are possible for the Salish Sea.

Friday October 13​
Good morn’n, Patron. Before checking the long-range outlook —​
Lots of ‘asks’ about whether or not we will be able to view the Annular Solar Eclipse tomorrow morning in Oregon. As we have indicated for over a week now, Oregon will be in between two damp systems. --> We’ll forecast that there could be breaks in the clouds during the Annularity over Oregon, allowing for a chance to get a direct view of the Ring of Fire. A chance, not a guarantee! The sky is likely to be mostly clear of a ‘sun blocking’ cloud deck - at least inland, away from the coast. High, thin clouds could ‘filter’ the direct view. We do not see rain or showers coming into play during the Eclipse. Southern Willamette Valley viewing sites: check various maps for details as to the precise timing for the peek event around Eugene / Roseburg.​
Grab your ☕Mug. Increasing clouds today, with rain/showers arriving over OR by this afternoon. Damp this evening for much of the west side from southern OR to Vancouver Island. Saturday will turn wet again later in the day/evening; breezy. Attributes of this system will be similar to Friday’s, but damp nonetheless and rather breezy over Vancouver Island. Sunday looks to start out rather pleasant, as the next, stronger storm, is trending to arrive overnight Sunday into Monday.​
Next week: WET and blustery on Monday. Rain moderate as the cold front passes. Intense showers Monday afternoon into the evening. Overall, Tue is looking fairly nice, with sunshine and cool temps. The ’tail’ of a storm heading north of Vancouver Island will dampen the island on Wed; however, for the rest of the PNW, expect dry and MILD conditions. Temps could reach 70 in places around the Willamette Valley Wed & Thu. The Big High gets into position.
A large area of High pressure - a Dome - will develop west of the Rockies next week. This will block Pacific storms and usher in a relatively mild dry spell for nearly a full week. As noted above, temps will pop up into the 60s and lower 70s by Wed Oct 18. Indeed, other than an outside chance for showers over Vancouver Is. next Fri Oct 20, the PNW looks DRY until a wet, windy storm arrives on Tue the 24th. Fog, at times, may arrive, but it should burn off in the respective areas for pleasant, sunny afternoons. Enjoy the colors of Fall.
Indications are for a stormy, wet and MUCH COOLER weather pattern arriving around the 24th and taking us through the balance of October. First Frost before Halloween? Ponder that.
-Rufus​
Glad you are getting out John…it has been a trying season!

I went out to the boat today, nasty winds, cool temps, and the threat of rain.
Leaving for Maui tomorrow for a quick trip with the boys and their wives…

And hauling Tally Ho out when I get back, so decided I better get the sails off and change the oil before haulout:confused:

Will be putting Tally Ho away for another winter layup when I get back from Maui.

But I am retiring in March so next year promises a lot more sailing (I think I got out 42 times this season).

And as a retirement gift to myself, I am going to get a folding or feathering prop for the old girl. So that is something to look forward to!

Glad to see you are on the water.

Greg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
What is happening on S/V Hadley this week, John? It’s been a very long time with no/ little sailing. Have you got all the bugs ironed out?

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Good question. Last Saturday I had planned to head to the boat. Unfortunately the rain storm we had on Friday exposed a leak in the roof. My weekend was spent trying to identify the leak source and find a roofer who could do the repairs. I have a guy coming to the house tomorrow with the intent to fix the roof. I’ll know more tomorrow afternoon. Saturday I’ll be in Anacortes for a Waggoner’s Business meeting. I’ll send some time at the boat Sunday to check out what my mechanic has completed.

More info to come.