Man-o-war misery

Oct 7, 2019
O'Day 23 Beaver Lake
I bought a man-o-war a couple years ago. The daggerboard trunk is poorly designed and the gussets tend to rot out. I had some pieces cut out, and I rebuilt the trunk with what I think is a pretty bullet-proof setup. It took way too long, but I'm pleased with the result. I got a couple short test trips with my youngest in light wind, and I felt good about giving it a proper trip on a bigger lake. I got out in a good 20mph wind about 100 yards from the dock yesterday, and BOOM! The pedestal base split in two and I was left flapping in the breeze. It's a pill to get to, and I don't know that I could do a sufficient glass repair in there that I would ever trust. I'm not emotionally attached to this boat, but I've got < $1k in it so far. I'm thinking about doing the best bandaid I can on the base, then figuring out how to run a forestay and shrouds to the mast. The sail slides over the mast, so this could be tricky. I'm curious what experience others might have had. Should I keep hacking on this, or throw in the towel and find a better-built money pit? Despite its flaws, this boat has been great since it's lightweight, and can be on the water in 5 minutes with my kids. Thanks for your thoughts!
20200408_194249.jpg20200502_185625.jpg

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
How big around is that? Can you slip a sleeve around the base? I'm thinking a PVC pipe around the outside of that base. Or maybe a section of galvanized pipe, if PVC isn't strong enough.

Oct 7, 2019
O'Day 23 Beaver Lake
It's around 6 inches or so. Strength is definitely my primary concern, which is why I'm considering shrouds from the topside.