Making Your Own Battery Cables

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
If you're going long-distance cruising, getting the crimping tool goes a long way to being more self-sufficient in doing repairs. I've basically paid for my tool by doing crimps for neighbors at the marina who were re-wiring their boats or upgrading them. Charging eight people $15 a piece for crimping all the cables they need goes a long way to paying for a tool that only costs $150. The convenience of having the tool made wiring my own boat much simpler as well and basically paid for itself in time saved.

While I would be the first to agree that having, and using, the correct tool for a job is always best, the questions in my mind would be how often do you use it, how much does it cost, and what are "suitable" alternatives. I could just not justify spending over $100 on a tool that I only may use infrequently. In over 30 years of sailing, I have only needed to replace battery cables twice (and in the latter case, I'm not really sure the change was needed). In both cases, I bought the right quage wire, lugs, and adhesive shrink sleeves. In both cases, I crimped the lugs in a bench vise. Afterward, I used my full weight to test the strength of the crimps. I then used a DVOM to test the ability of the crimps to pass voltage. I also tested impedence. These cable passed my tests with flying colors. While I no longer own those boats, I feel certain the battery cables I installed in them are still doing the job. Yet, I have to admit that if had a friend who owned epensive battery crimpers, I would have bought him a beer and borrowed his crimpers....

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Re: Making Your Own Battery Cables (Long)

In the 2009 catalogs, West has the hammer-type crimper for $87.99. Our good friends at Defender/Ancor have jacked the price up to $114.99. Both way out of line for the product that it is, I guess they figure since we are saving money doing it ourselves, we should send it to THEM.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.

I have one of those that I bought back about 1997. I doubt That I payed more than about 25 bucks for it. It carries the brand name "Crimpage".

P

Pacer Marine

Battery Cables

As Maine Sail mentioned, there are other marine wire, battery cable and boat cable manufacturers. Pacer is a manufacturer in Florida that sells direct. Feel free to contact us at 800-424-9549. In addition to manufacturing marine primary wire, battery cable and boat cable we also have an engineering department that makes custom battery cable assemblies. We also distribute all the parts you need to make your own battery cables in addition to breakers, switches, terminals, connectors and wire management accessories. We also have ABYC electrical engineers on staff should you have any technical questions. You will find our prices to be more than competitive with the local stores that carry other brands and we are truly a one stop shop.

Steve O'Dea
Pacer Group

Mar 3, 2009
Beneteau 49 Atlantic City, NJ

Has anyone tried www.bestboatwire.com. They sell Pacer wire also. Their prices are cheaper especially comparing the battery lugs. I have used them for years and I have had great service.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Camera

What camera/flash setup are you using to get these great pictures?
For this one I used my Nikon D-200 with SB-600 speed light/flash. The lens was my Nikon 16-85 VR.. I sometimes use my wife's little D-40 with the SB-600..

Any post processing was done using the free photo organizer & editor Picasa3 from Google...

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I've basically paid for my tool by doing crimps for neighbors at the marina who were re-wiring their boats or upgrading them. Charging eight people $15 a piece for crimping all the cables they need goes a long way to paying for a tool that only costs $150. The convenience of having the tool made wiring my own boat much simpler as well and basically paid for itself in time saved.
I guess I would have a hard time charging my dockmates and neighbors $15 a crimp if I had the tool.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD

If the dockmate is a decent person, they would offer some $$$ up front. Why should anyone get for free what I had to pay $150 for- plus my labor/time ? A six-pack, at least! And I think he meant $15.00 total, not per-crimp.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
This wasn't $15 a crimp... it was $15 for a day's worth of crimps, and usually closer to 10-20 crimps over all.

I guess I would have a hard time charging my dockmates and neighbors $15 a crimp if I had the tool.

P

Pacer Marine/Pacer Group

Battery Department Manager

Thank you for posting our website link, we are currently in the process of creating a new web site pacergroup.net to offer on line ordering for all of are products, we will have it up and running in a few weeks.

After its up and running we will be adding a option for boat owners to log on and purchase a custom made battery kit to there needs with instant pricing.

If any one is ever in the need for a battery cable and dose have the ability to produce it themselves Pacer would be more than wiling to produce one for you with same day shipping.

Christopher Carter
Battery Department Manager
ccarter@pacergroup.net

Taylor

Feb 9, 2006
Warwick Cardinal 46 Seattle, WA
Welding cable?

I have often thought that welding cables would be about the right size.
This used to be a more popular way to go, but the problem is (as I understand it) that welding cable typically does not have tin coated stranding, which makes it very susceptible to internal corrosion in damp environments.

Just one more thing to replace on my boat.

Edit: Plus - that was another brilliant post from Maine Sail. Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA

Just a foolish question from a newbie. Is soldering the lug onto the wire an option, or is that to be avoided, and why?

Richard

Feb 6, 1998
Just a foolish question from a newbie. Is soldering the lug onto the wire an option, or is that to be avoided, and why?

Richard
If you were to have a short the resistance could cause the solder to heat up and melt. If not also crimped the wire could fall out of the lug leaving an exposed and live wire dangling in your boat..

This is a good reason to not forget battery fuses..

Aug 16, 2009

So if I read Maine Sail correctly, if your battery is properly fused, soldering cable ends would be fine. I have seen many a dastardly short that melted insullation, and even wire, but never saw one actually melt the solder. Note that Harbor Freight Tools [www.harborfreight.com] has a $27 crimper that comes with several size dies.

Feb 6, 1998
So if I read Maine Sail correctly, if your battery is properly fused, soldering cable ends would be fine. I have seen many a dastardly short that melted insullation, and even wire, but never saw one actually melt the solder. Note that Harbor Freight Tools [www.harborfreight.com] has a $27 crimper that comes with several size dies.
Here's what the ABYC thinks of soldering:

11.16.3.7. Solder shall not be the sole means of
mechanical connection in any circuit. If soldered, the
connection shall be so located or supported as to
minimize flexing of the conductor where the solder
changes the flexible conductor into a solid conductor.

If you are not very, very experienced at soldering large gauge wire I would avoid doing it. Soldering large gauge wire requires more skill than small stuff as it must be heated very evenly to get proper flow of the solder through the joint.

You can still use Genuinedealz.com for $1.00 per crimp too..

Aug 16, 2009

That's very helpful advice that I will heed. Thanks.