Making Donations

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
We have been out on the boat 3 times in the last seven days. Not too bad considering it has been pretty windless and hotter than the surface of the sun as of late. After we got home a week ago Sunday, I couldn't find the hand held VHF. Have yet to install the base unit.... Anyway, searched the house, the car, the boat, the lost and found at the club. Nothing. Near as I can tell, we may have put it in a bag that had trash in it and yeah... in it went and gone. Ordered a new one and it was here in a couple days. This past Thursday we were motoring out and I opened the cockpit locker to stow the fenders, forgot the 6-watt solar panel was on the gunnel there and didn't even hear it hit the water when it went in.... sigh.... Guess I need to get on that shore power install. Hopefully tonight as it is over a week for shipping to replace the panel for some reason. Have all the stuff. Then yesterday we raised the main, admiral-to-be noticed a batten was sticking out, drop the sail and the flogging threw it the rest of the way out.... I hope it and the solar panel are enjoying the bottom of the lake.

I am hoping that we are done donating now......

Jun 29, 2010
Found an 8 watt and it even fit my connector at local West Marine. Good enough for now until I get my shore power wired up. Yes, three and done, I am hoping Neptune is enjoying them as well.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Only problem is that if you’re right and the VHF went in the trash then it hasn’t gone to Neptune yet. So he’s still awaiting his chance to claim his third donation. :(

Jun 29, 2010
Only problem is that if you’re right and the VHF went in the trash then it hasn’t gone to Neptune yet. So he’s still awaiting his chance to claim his third donation. :(
Buzz-kill...... ;) I was thinking that too but didn't want to vocalize it. LOL

Jun 29, 2010
Went sailing yesterday evening. Found the "missing" radio hiding in plain sight with some of the electrical stuff I have yet to install.... /facepalm. I am thinking I am still good though with some other stuff that has been going on. Sail on!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Speaking of donations. I received an ask in the mail the other day from the Coast Guard Association. Maybe because my boat is documented so I'm on a list. I'd love to donate to all the worthy organizations that ask, but I'd be broke.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Went sailing yesterday evening. Found the "missing" radio hiding in plain sight with some of the electrical stuff I have yet to install.... /facepalm. I am thinking I am still good though with some other stuff that has been going on. Sail on!
This is when you know your 'race boat' isn't a race boat anymore! ;^)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I do not enjoy making those donations, at all! I doubt that Neptune appreciates them very much, either. The last time we lost some things that were important to us, I was a lot more worried about losing my wife than any thing.
We were broad reaching into the NW corner of St. Vincent in Christmas winds on charter and we'd just caught a small Blue Marlin. Nikki was on the aft deck cleaning it when a wave mounted the aft deck and dumped water to the top of the pushpit onto the deck. Nikki as completely submerged and I had enough time to worry that she might be washed overboard before the water receded. She had held onto the fish which was well tied on, but we did lose the fish scale and fillet knife, though oddly her glasses were there in the scuppers after it was all over.
That deck has never had anything more than a bit of spray in the 11 years I've owned her, even in wind and seas of 70 knots, but we in the cockpit didn't even get the tiniest bit of spray! Ah, sailing. A new adventure every day.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I cheated neptune the other day. Had my handheld attached to my belt. Went to reach for it and it was gone! Oh no! Was sure it went overboard but then eureka!
8135380F-CFB5-40F6-8EA7-9B8A2E1E3258.jpeg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Lanyards on everything!
My 95 year old father-in-law took it even further. He has them on his pants zippers. He has little feeling in his fingers. Now he just has to remember to pull the lanyard before he goes!
Ah, the future I have to look forward to!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I cheated neptune the other day. Had my handheld attached to my belt. Went to reach for it and it was gone! Oh no! Was sure it went overboard but then eureka!
Ha! I've done the same. I went forward a couple of weeks ago, and while doing so brushed my hip against the starboard vertical shroud. Didn't think anything of it, until I reached for my Boye knife that is always clipped in my right front pocket; and it was not there. Thinking I must have taken it out down below, I was shocked to see it CLIPPED TO THE SHROUD. Neptune denied!

BTW, the Boye is pretty much the worlds best sailing knife. Really. But it makes me want to fold down the end of the clip a tiny bit.

Cooper_72_dpi_sheepsfoot_open_back_Shopify_resized_dd60a758-d733-4cd7-951f-9c7496b856e2_1024x...jpeg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
One of the things Andante's P.O. told me was to watch out that the steering wheel retainer knob doesn't work loose and fall off. He said that on his delivery trip from Annapolis to Cape Cod, he lost it between Cape May and Atlantic City when the waves were bashing them to death. Somehow, it rolled off the open stern and landed and stayed on the swim platform, where he was able to retrieve it before it sank into the Atlantic! He never failed to check it continuously for the 20 years he owned the boat. Well, the first day Ward & I were beating into the wind on our way to Cuttyhunk, the knob fell off and landed at my feet. I picked it up and haven't forgotten to check it since! It does loosen up quite easily. There has got to be a solution for this. :facepalm: