Making battery cables

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I am rewiring my engine and need to also make new battery cables. The OEM cables are not tinned wire and the ends are not protected with shrink tubing so after thirty years they are looking pretty bad. So the problem becomes crimping the lugs, looking at MaineSail's article the cheap hydraulic crimpers for about 45 bucks are junk, the hammer crimpers cost about 18 bucks plus shipping and I know I'll never use it again. So my question to those that know better is can a Nicopress swaging tool be used to crimp battery cable lugs since I have one of those tools on hand? It is the kind of tool with two bolts you use to tighten the die halves and swage the nicopress sleeves.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
not sure if it will clamp down tight enough to do that but it may ...just take a new lug and test it ...i do know the crimp needs to support a certain amount of pulling strength ...i don't know what that is but on the #14 wire i think it's 100 lbs

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
One possibility is to go to the website
http://www.genuinedealz.com/
and custom order battery cables on line. I don't imagine you could make them better, quicker or cheaper. They are tinned wire, marine closed lugs and glued heat shrink

Dec 31, 2012
Catalina 28 mkll #649 Port Charlotte, fl
If you are near a west marine store they usually have a real good crimp tool their for people to use.... and just about anything else needed for that job....

Aug 30, 2015
Ranger 28 Halifax
I make all mine. I prefer to solder to the lug. Very easy to do with tinned wire. Just heat the lug with wire inserted fill with solder to top of lug let cool then slide heat shrink over and seal.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I'm another genuinedealz.com customer. When I ditched my 4D's and went to 6v golf batteries per MaineSail, I used them to make the cables I needed. I seldom pay for others to do anything for/on my boat, but given the good prices and great service I got, they were hard to beat. And I didn't have to do anything. And I only need battery cables about once a decade.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Trouble with pre-fab is knowing the exact length to make them, too short and its' a disaster, too long and it probably means cutting it shorter and then having to crimp anyway. I guess I can pull the old ones measure them and then reinstall to keep the boat in service until I get them made up. I might try the swage tool just to see what happens with a piece of scrap wire. I made a short jumper out of #6 wire to go from the alternator to the battery cable terminal of the starter solenoid (per MaineSail's recommendation) using the local West swaging tool in the store, it was a really poor crimp, flattened the connector making "ears" on each side, I don't want to do that with battery cables, the wire is too expensive to screw it up.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I have a set I use to lug 600 Volt power cables but the drive might be a bit much. If you know an industrial or commercial electrician they are sure to have a set they could lend or do it for you. These don't crimp but squeeze the lug down much like a swaged rigging end. Never had one fail and they operate in environments hundreds of times more corrosive than any ocean ever thought of being.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i went to a shop that made welding cable. showed them my old battery cables, asked the shop to make me new ones a foot longer same diameter with lugs on the end to fit standard battery top posts.. welding cable was 20% the price of west marine. 35 years later the welding cables are working just fine.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I'm another very satisfied Genuinedealz customer. You really need a good (expensive) crimper to do battery cables correctly. Make sure you get the proper sized lugs for your battery posts. Some batteries use different sizes for + and -, some don't. Another tip, if using Genuinedealz, is to get different colered shrink tubing on all your cables, which makes it a lot easier to identify both ends after its run all over your engine bay.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Trouble with pre-fab is knowing the exact length to make them, too short and its' a disaster, too long and it probably means cutting it shorter and then having to crimp anyway. I guess I can pull the old ones measure them and then reinstall to keep the boat in service until I get them made up. I might try the swage tool just to see what happens with a piece of scrap wire. I made a short jumper out of #6 wire to go from the alternator to the battery cable terminal of the starter solenoid (per MaineSail's recommendation) using the local West swaging tool in the store, it was a really poor crimp, flattened the connector making "ears" on each side, I don't want to do that with battery cables, the wire is too expensive to screw it up.
Okay...tongue in cheek, here, but...if you're not capable of measuring a battery cable, you sure you want to be the guy to make them?

Sep 22, 2013
Catalina 30 NOB Norfolk W5CDR
Genuinedealz is an excellent source of professionally made cables, especially if you know the correct length. I purchased the FTZ crimper as I am doing a complete rewire of my Cat 30. I have increased the size of all cabling and completely redesigned the 12v system. I don't believe you can solder properly crimped cables (cold formed with no space available for the solder to flow) and there should be no need to do so. 20 years of aircraft maintenance and the crimp was the solution. Very little soldering.
So, if you need just a few cables, and know how long each is Genuinedealz is the way to go. If there will be a bigger need the correct crimper should be in the tool bin. Once you are done I'm sure you could sell it to some other smart sailor for a reasonable price, and know the crimps and the terminals used are the best & safest ones on your boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I used a hot knife to cut the insulation without breaking strands. After using the whammer-crimper, I hung the cabled so the solder would run down into the lug. I used 1&2&3-inch heat shrink pieces overlapped. This, from Good Old Boat 2006...

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I cut the insulation with a razor knife, massage conductive grease into the cable, fill the connector with conductive grease and then crimp with a Hilti crimper that leaves the die size in the crimp. You might be able to rent one or borrow one from an electrician. I then cover the cable end with shrink tubing.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

4arch

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Baltimore
A method that has worked well for me in measuring for new custom battery cables when I'm not replacing 1-for-1 and therefore don't have old ones to measure is this:
  1. Find an old, stiff piece of line without a lot of stretch or give - preferably 1/2 or 5/8 inch 3-strand, but braided would be OK if it's stiff enough. This approximates the thickness and pliability of a 2/0 marine cable surprisingly well.
  2. Run the line where the battery cables are to be routed. Use temporary ties to secure the cable exactly as it will be in its final installation.
  3. Mark the posts at each end with a marker or tape.
  4. Remove the piece of line.
  5. Lay the line out flat and straight.
  6. Measure between the markings with a tape. This is your cable length. Unless it's a short little jumper, I usually add an inch or two for good measure. I also make clear in my comments to the fabricator that the measurements are taken at the posts, center to center.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
i went to a shop that made welding cable. showed them my old battery cables, asked the shop to make me new ones a foot longer same diameter with lugs on the end to fit standard battery top posts.. welding cable was 20% the price of west marine. 35 years later the welding cables are working just fine.

The reason welding cable is generally not used is due to the jacket construction. EPDM rubber, what most welding cable is made from, is highly flexible, a desired characteristic for welding cable, but is not immune to oils, gasses etc..

I have re-wired far to many boats with rotting EPDM welding cable, at a high cost to the owner, because the EPDM jacket failed and rotted in engine room or bilge pass through spaces.. I had a Defever trawler two years ago with welding cable that looked like chewed bubble gum, literally swelled, deformed and melted. It literally fell apart in your fingers. It caused massive DC corrosion issues, among other problems...

The wire inside is perfectly fine, and IMHO tinning is irrelevant in properly made battery or inverter cables using a proper wire that resists oil and chemical attack.. The stranding is very close to, and in some cases identical, to what we use on boat cable, but the EPDM rubber jacketing is the issue.

If you can find a PVC or thermoplastic welding cable, and they do exist, then it can be fine. I would however suggest finding one that is 105C rated, that meets UL burn tests etc. is very difficult... The problem is this type of welding cable costs about the same as marine UL1426 wire...

In the quantities I buy UL1426 battery cable it is actually cheaper than UL 105C PVC welding cable.
One thing that is critically important is that over current protection is dictated by the jacket temp rating. The trip rating of over current protection for main banks that may be called on to at one point start the motor and a 105C wire has much higher allowable max ampacity for OCP and can utilize a larger fuse and still remain below the 100% or 150% ABYC Table VI standard for max ampacity. Most generic welding cable is not even temp rated and most EPDM cable is 60C... To get the equivalent quality in welding cable is still not inexpensive and the specs often leave a bit to be desired.

I have seen welding cable outside bilges & engine spaces last 30+ years but in engine spaces I've seen it eaten/destroyed in a year. When in doubt stick with a Marine UL1426 rated wire...