Make your own sailboat parts

Jun 26, 2014
hello, i decided i needed some dock line rub strakes for my sailboat, i had a piece of 1 inch stainless steel tubing and would try make some strakes I marked the tubing with a marker, used a angle grinder and a thin blade to cut them out Bench grinder to clean them up and polish bend the ends down a bit to fit better, easier than i thought safety first cheers make your own.

Attachments

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Very nicely done. So, on the economic front, what do you have in material cost and a reasonable value for your time vs what it might cost to buy them from a supplier? I understand that there is some value in DIY'g it.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Great idea. This way you can get custom lengths. Now if I just get my hands on some scrap tubing.

Jun 26, 2014
thank you for replies i used a piece of scrap stainless tubing i brought at a local metal supplier for a dollar 18" the advantage is you can them the lenght you want. sailors have to be versable to survive

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 20 Tampa Bay
Thanks for sharing this money saving idea. I am adding it to my list of mods to be completed.

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
Nicely done! And thanks for the idea. I am a little bit of a crafty/tinkerer type. So I love to see what others have come up with. There is just a fatness about having built it your self that cant be matched with manufactured parts. I mean really anybody can purchase parts and bolt them on. Even when I see something that looks like a cool DIY modification, it loses a little bit, when you find out that the owner didnt actually do it.
Case in point, earlier this summer we had our speed boat moored and we were standing in the water while this fishing boat goes by that had what looked like a nice DIY paint job. I say to the guy, "nice paint job." He's kinda proud lookin and says "Thanks!" So I say "did you do it your self?" He kinda hangs his head a little lower... "Nah." I think he could tell, he had just lost a little of the coolness.