make stanchions removeable?

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
Not being able to remove the stanchions makes haulout and covering difficult. Has anyone ever cut the stanchions and made a sleeve (exterior) or rod (interior) to remove them when needed and then replace? This basically duplicates how a base and stanchion works. Thanks...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My stanchions on my O’Day 322 are removable.
I don’t have a great photo, but you can see where the base and mast are in this shot. There is a set screw facing outward that keeps them together.

681DE0AC-23DB-4866-B274-E61875F63EEA.png

I think it would be a pain in the @ss to remove them very often, you would have to remove the lifelines from the bow and stern pulpits, etc.

Greg

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
Yes. I had a Hunter with the same stanchions. Made it simple to drop them for tarping. We just left the lifelines on. Thanks.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...Not being able to remove the stanchions makes haulout and covering difficult. Has anyone ever cut the stanchions and made a sleeve (exterior) or rod (interior) to remove them when needed and then replace?
I had to do something similar for a bent bimini bow. Make a spline. IIRC, most one inch SS tube is .065 thick. There is another size, IIRC, .049. You should be able to slit the 65 lengthwise (like a drift pin?) and drive it into the 65 stanchion half way. Drill a pop rivet hole in each end for a rivet.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
My P31-2 came with welded bases. I had a local shop cut the bases off, then re-used the stanchions with new bases that were quite affordable from SailRite

Removing the stanchions did make covering the boat much easier...