major undertaking of my 1973 32' ericson sailboat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2009
2 32 1973 point bay marina
So I purchased this boat last fall when she was pulled from the water and found it to be quite a nice boat..and the price happened to be just right..at $5,000.00 what I really saw was a good deal. This spring however..I traveled up to see my boat which had been sleeping in the dorment months of winter up at point bay marina in colchester Vt.....what I found was troubling...leaks..and plenty of them!!! The port lights were all showing signs of water infiltration...the forward birth hatch was also a problem area as well...So I knew what I had to do..pull everything and make sure she's sealed up tight for the summer plus also to avoid furthering any water damage that may have existed. When I attempted to pull the port lights what I found was very troubling...the previous owner had filled all the inner seams of the lights with silicon...and really packed it in there..however..this failed to impede water infiltration and only made my attempt to fix the leaks all that more problematic and not to mention extremely tedious...Once pulled I cleaned them up and applied butal tape in the re-installment. I then pulled all of the hatches stripped the teak applied le tonkin and re-installed them..oh right..less I forget while everything was out and the top was naked i decided to paint the deck..and pulled the handrails stripped em applied le tonkin and re-installed all of the fine teak. This whole thing has been quite a proccess but i must admit that it has been one with great,great reward...so I wish only steady winds and sunny days to lay upon us all for this fun upcoming sailing season!

Status
Not open for further replies.