Major oops/ roller furl line tube fell into bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Hi all, Well, I had a tumultuous weekend of changing out some old running rigging on my 170. I was in the middle of feeding a new roller furler line from the furling drum and aft through the furl line tube when I managed to disconnect the aft cockpit fitting (at the aft exit of the furling line tube), promptly causing the furling line tube to drop out of sight and into the bilge. My question is: First of all, is this a lost cause?? that is, Feeding line through a partially ruined furler line tunnel? Although the fore section of the tube is presumably still in place, I assume attempting to use the tunnel and partial void near the cockpit fitting is a lost cause? Next; have any of your intrepid tinkerers fitted bulls eye fairleads or the like to the foredeck of your 170 for any reason? And it so, what sort of experience did you have in drilling/setting fasteners directly to the deck? Also, would re-mounting of the Harken mini block in a more adventageous location be feasible materials-wise? That is, are the underlying layup/ACP materials strong enough to handle cleat load + mounting screws? Thanks for your input. The Inadvertent 170 Mutilator, Mike G.

Status
Not open for further replies.