Maintenance Schedule

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Hello other C310 owners.

I have been trying to put together an all inclusive maintenance schedule for the C310. My goal is to help me identify what supplies are important to carry and at what quantity when we head out for the Caribbean later this year. So I went through all of the manuals and some other helpful things like this forum. This is what I have come up with and of course some items may vary based on what equipment you have on board.

Please take a look and let me know if you see anything I missed.

Thanks and fair winds,

Jesse

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Very, very nice.

My experience is that adding a column titled: "Next Date To Do" is very helpful in addition to when you did it last.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Jesse, I would add that you may want to at least check that raw water impeller once a year and carry a spare + gaskets. Mine lost 2 blades after only 150 hrs on my Yanmar.

Feb 20, 2013
Catalina 310 Channel Islands Harbor
Jesse,

Great list, thanks for sharing. I just had another scheduled engine maintenance day this weekend so I have oil & filters on the brain. I think the 250 hour engine oil and filter change is way to long. The book calls for a 100 hour interval. I am a little anal about maintenance so I do this at fifty, I know a little overkill but it is cheap insurance.

I am not sure I have a secondary fuel filter, p/n 48076. Where is this filter located? I just changed my engine spin on and racor, wanted to make sure I am not missing one.

I am using the R20p in the racor, 30 micron rating. With a R20s you are filtering to two microns before a ten micron filter. Like this your engine filter should last a long time.

After changing the fuel filters found my lift pump inop when trying to do the final system bleed. Need to remember to listen for it at each engine start, lucky to have a full tank.

Time to sail.......

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Simi,
I think the 250 hour engine oil and filter change is way to long. The book calls for a 100 hour interval. I am a little anal about maintenance so I do this at fifty, I know a little overkill but it is cheap insurance.
I do oil changes anywhere from 50 to 150 hours. Seems to be fine. '86 boat I've owned for 17. Fuel filters? Depends on how good the fuel you get is. I've gone 250 hours regularly, they're still clean. All sorts of discussions about pre-filtering with Baja filters, etc., but I haven't ever done that.

I am not sure I have a secondary fuel filter, p/n 48076. Where is this filter located? I just changed my engine spin on and racor, wanted to make sure I am not missing one.
Secondary is on the engine, Racor is called the primary, 'cuz it's, uhm, first. :)

I am using the R20p in the racor, 30 micron rating. With a R20s you are filtering to two microns before a ten micron filter. Like this your engine filter should last a long time.
Arguments abound on the internet for filter ratings and how big, and which came first. I think it was the egg. :eek:

The engine filters available have pretty much been reported to be anywhere from 15-25 microns, rarely as low as ten.

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
The secondary filter on Jesse's list is a small filter at the input to the lift (fuel) pump. Not all M25XPB engines have this filter (my hull 121 of 2001 does not). It is a later addition by Westerbeke. You can see the filter in the bag in the attached picture.

Attachments

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Simi,

I do oil changes anywhere from 50 to 150 hours. Seems to be fine. '86 boat I've owned for 17. Fuel filters? Depends on how good the fuel you get is. I've gone 250 hours regularly, they're still clean. All sorts of discussions about pre-filtering with Baja filters, etc., but I haven't ever done that.

Secondary is on the engine, Racor is called the primary, 'cuz it's, uhm, first. :)

Arguments abound on the internet for filter ratings and how big, and which came first. I think it was the egg. :eek:

The engine filters available have pretty much been reported to be anywhere from 15-25 microns, rarely as low as ten.

As a "belt and suspenders" guy have used a West Marine fuel/water
separator funnel to filter fuel before it goes in the tank. Since low
usage get my fuel from gas stations in 5 gal tanks. Try for station with
"high" usage diesel fuel. Can't always find. Feel better with "multi filtered" fuel. Change fuel filters
once year. After couple fuel fill ups still amazing to look in 5 gal tank
and see all the gunk in there.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks everyone for the replies. Here are some of my thoughts on the points made.

On the frequency of changing oil and filters, as far as I can tell the operators manual for the engine was written with the typical sailor in mind. In other words, someone who may power for an hour or two each day they take the boat out and they only take the boat out a few dozen times a year and lay the boat up for storage each winter. Up until last year we fell into this group and only put about 50 hours a year on the motor. But as a full time cruiser doing the ICW and using our engine as a source of power generation, that would equate to change the oil every couple of weeks to monthly. That seems a bit like overkill. Doing the ICW, the 250 hours equates to about once a month or every 1,250 nm at an average of 5 kts cruising speed. That is also about the equivalent of the Atlantic ICW. So we would go down the ICW, change the oil and get ready to cross the Gulf stream for the Bahamas. After that point I estimate that 250 hours will be every 3-4 months.

On the secondary filter, Craig pointed out the locations. Although I am curious that we have it, hull no. 65, but hull no. 121 does not.

On the Racor size, to me 10 microns is huge. At work I am constantly filtering different fluids and the amount of stuff you find in fuel between 10 microns and 2 microns is insane. The on pump filters for at the dispensers is 10 microns. But I can tell you a lot gets past that. The Racor 2 micron size is the smallest reasonable size you can filter to without having too much problems with blockage. Ideally I would have a step down system with a 20-50 micron followed by the 2 micron filter. But I don't have the real estate for that in this boat. So until I figure that out I will just be going with the 2 micron. That does mean that theoretically I should never have to change the on engine fuel filter. But I do.

The correct way to tell when any filter needs to be changed is based on pressure differential. You put pressure gauges before and after each filter and when you see too much of a differential, you change the filter. I plan to add gauges but I don't have them now, so instead I will go by engine hours.

Thanks for the comments. Please keep them coming.

Jesse